Wellsville, Ohio (Yellow Creek) Clean-up ... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wellsville, Ohio (Yellow Creek) Clean-up ...

Pottsy

Reaction score
City, State
Carrollton, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 4x4 xlt
Wellsville, Ohio (Yellow Creek) Clean-up ...

I have been planning since Oct. 2001 a clean-up Wellsville trail ride with my current off-road club (RRORC.com). Here are some details and all are welcome to help!

Well so far here is the plan:

On May 11th we will meet at the Wal-Mart in Calcutta, Ohio. This Wal-Mart is off of State Route 11 at the Route 170 exit. This is a Super Wal-Mart that has food and all other needs if people have to grab something. The meeting time will be at 9 a.m. We will depart from Wal-Mart at 9:30 a.m. for the trails in Wellsville. The trails are roughly a 10-min. drive from Wal-Mart. So have your member’s meet us there and they should have no problem picking us out.
I plan on spending the most part of the morning cleaning. The Creek bed area from chicken hill down steam is my main focus point. This area is about 3/4 to a mile long, so it may take some time. There are in this area a couple of burned vehicles. I am not sure if we can do anything with these vehicles or not? Maybe with a couple sets of torches we could chunk them up, but not sure??? There is a ton of cans, trash & junk. I would like to make a noticeable difference.
I have even thought about making up some fliers that would state what was done and which clubs where responsible for this clean up. With the fliers made and laminated, I thought they could be stapled to trees every so often? I’m kind of unsure able that part.

Do you have any contact names of the Wellsville area landowners? I would like to throw an e-mail at a couple of them to advise what is being planned!

Thanks,
Pottsy

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you're trying to be environmentally friendly (I would assume you are), then please do not staple to trees. It exposes them to disease and it's possible they will die. Also, that paper on the trees could fall down with wind over time and then you would be left with more trash to clean up.

However I think it's great you're doing a trail cleanup! I need to get one going around here.

been watching the thread on the ranger station, I should be able to make it. You making the run the next weekend with the other members of the ranger station?

May 11th Wellsville Clean Up Is Officially OFF….

Well, the landowners do not want anyone on their property and they have given permission to have action taken. I am not going to try and help clean up someone’s land only to have a fine thrown at me and my vehicle impounded! I will not put anyone else in that position either! Here is quote from and e-mail that was sent from the landowner.

Wellsville is an old challenge that has taken a lot of time and it does not look good. Lots of folks would like to go there, ride their equipment, pick up trash, do what is asked, and even pay money! The problem is picking up trash is not the solution to keeping the area open. I have been told by the president of Western Reserve 4x4 that; the staging area has an A B rode going through it however the land owned on each side is owned by Amos Rawsom who wants to close it. Amos is working with the police to close it. AMOS states that anyone doing a clean up or is caught on his property will be arrested and Amos has given Craig Roberts permission to impound cars/trucks/ATV's etc.. Roberts stated that if he has to deal with people there he hopes we bring NEW cars/trucks/ATV's so he can destroy them and impound them. Craig not only works for Warren but also for Amos. Amos, Iddings own most of the land that we call yellow creek. Some sections are state owned and there is about 7 main owners with about 50 other owners in the area.

Wellsville is on patrol as of APRIL 1 For AMOS to close the area that he owns. Amos will not allow anyone on his property.

I stopped at abdulla's bar to talk to him but he was not there since he is the next main owner. I am sending someone there sat night to talk to him since he is a main owner.

The city of wellsville is closing the main entrance.

The city of wellsville, Amos, Roberts, and Springer are all working together to keep the area closed.

Roberts does the city of wellsville favors is what locals told me. The city of wellsville talked highly of Roberts while I spoke to them. As if he was a good man and doing the city a favor by helping to keep people out.

I have a flyer from Warren about his campground that was put on the president of the ground pounders home door about his new campground. However Warren can not give us permission to use the land in yellow creek for he only owns 10 acres. His campground will be set up like tri counties campground, with a mud pit hill climb.

Roberts knows about us looking up info the clean up on may 11 ( not sure who started that date ) and the clean up on April 14. He says he will have us arrested. Amos states he has given Roberts permission and the city of wellsville knows roberts has amos' permission to impound any cars/trucks/ATV's on his property which includes parking at the staging area.

With that read and greatly understood I will not clean or ever enter this property with out “Permission”

If anything in the future changes I will inform you!

Sorry,
Pottsy
Pottsy47@HOTMAIL.COM
RRORC.COM

For some reason the people up there never did strike me as the ones who gave a darn about hot the area looks. Go figure.

If you're ever up for a trail run somewhere else in the area let me know, I'm right up the road and new to the area. The itch for wheeling is getting to me. :D

Back