What 20"s look like? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What 20"s look like?

Hey, I just recently bought a 1997 explorer XLT 4x4 and want to throw 20 inch chrome rims on. Now i havent really seen any explorers on 20's so If any one has some pics or links for 20's on a X please help me out. thanks alot!

Chris

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by Marchand
BIG!
1 2 3

that 3rd gen looks really nice (the other 2 do also :D )

Yea no kidding ;)
I see 20s everywhere, but never actually stood right next to one. I never realised how HUGE those things are! If I didn't worry about my tires getting a a nail if I had 20s, I'd probably have some on right now. The tire prices are ridiculous though.

Actually my 275/45-20's are cheeper than the stock size tire's.
DSC00495.jpg

Yea no kidding ;)
I see 20s everywhere, but never actually stood right next to one. I never realised how HUGE those things are! If I didn't worry about my tires getting a a nail if I had 20s, I'd probably have some on right now. The tire prices are ridiculous though.

well, you can spend just as much for other size diameter tires. i spent more on tires for my 17's than a lot of people tend spend on tires for their 20s.

20s are big with respect to general size, but you dont know 'big' until you stand next to a cadillac escalade ext with 23's ;)

one of the main reasons im not looking into 20s is ride quality. on a truck as small as an explorer, its gonna be an issue, and im not willing to give up ride quality for bigger rims.

dacashboy, there are a number of members with 20s that you can do a search for. of the top of my head, check out slick, black magic, and rocket5759 (i think '5759' is the number at the end of his name.) there are more, but i cant remember all their names off the top of my head.

Originally posted by tbomb

one of the main reasons im not looking into 20s is ride quality. on a truck as small as an explorer, its gonna be an issue, and im not willing to give up ride quality for bigger rims.

I think the ride quality is better. It is def not worse. I actually like it better due to the incressed traction.

I Want to get 20"s but not for ride quality, its all about looks for me ;) I know thats the wrong reason but I always loved big rims and before my explorer I owned a little car. I wanted 22"s but I know it would look out of place. But even when i do get 20 inch rims how low could i lower it? Or would that even be a smart choice? Im sort of going for a street scene appearence. Thanks alot!

Chris

Where are you buying your tires from then? :) I went to discount tires and they quoted me with $325 for a 295/40-20
That's over $200 dollars more than I paid for my stock tire :)

Jesus Christ that is cheap! What brand are they???

I see, the ones I was looking at were the Goodyear Eagle F1s

Originally posted by tbomb
20s are big with respect to general size, but you dont know 'big' until you stand next to a cadillac escalade ext with 23's ;)

Definitley, my friends Escalade has 23" Giovanna Attacks, I'm not into that whole bling bling look, plus his truck rides bumpy as hell now thanks to the heavy ass unsprung added weight, guzzles more gas then before which was already horrible (6.0 V8 and awd), and they took off a good chunk off his acceleration power...again thanks to the heavy ass rims.

Then theres a Escalade EXT and Hummer H2 at my school both with 24" rims which just look way to big and massive.......those two kids are *******s. My sister was working at a very nice beer place, not really a full bar, and her and a couple other girls were only about 18 so couldn't drink or anything but they we're getting customers to come in ect.....these two kids pull up, it was free beer all day and a bunch of other stuff, everyone else gave my sister and all the other girls huge tips and these *******s didn't tip a single girl and we're jerk s to every one. So yeh, I'll be having a little chat with them at school tomorrow, punk *****;)

Another kid has a CL600 on 22" Lowenhart or Lorinsor rims (can't remember), pretty cool kid, and the car is gorgeous with a Lorinsor exhaust it has a mean V12 rumble.

Bunch of Explorers at my college, and non have rims, except for about 4 which are tricked out for off-roading which is pretty sweet considering seeing an off-road Explorer is pretty rare, mostly 1st gens and a 2nd gen.

I prefer Nittos but they are a lot more then the goodyears so....up to you

Where are you buying your tires from then? :) I went to discount tires and they quoted me with $325 for a 295/40-20
That's over $200 dollars more than I paid for my stock tire :)
That is way too wide of a tire for an X. Stick with a 275/45 like BM did.

Robb

Here's mine

252046_4_full.jpg

252046_5_full.jpg

I have a question? Is it hard to find rims to fit a 4x4? I really dont know that much about suv rims and what fits and not. What kinda speed difference in the mph gets changed or doesnt that matter? My friend told me that the bigger rims will change how fast im actually going? Is that true?

Thanks for the info
Chris

Originally posted by dacashboy
I have a question? Is it hard to find rims to fit a 4x4? I really dont know that much about suv rims and what fits and not. What kinda speed difference in the mph gets changed or doesnt that matter? My friend told me that the bigger rims will change how fast im actually going? Is that true?

Thanks for the info
Chris

You just have to find the correct bolt pattern. No the rim will not change that. The outer tire diameter does. You have to match up the tires to your stock or just adjust you speedo.

My speedo reads 1 km/h off at 100 km/h. My stock tires were 255/70-16s and my 20"s are 265/50-20.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bling :) Heres my X on 20's
wheelangle.jpg

wheelsidefar2.jpg

and the rest HERE

Ride quality is no worse than stock (not bumpy/rough) Plus its got better traction and maybe a little less roll in the corners (less sidewall)

Im also running the GY EagleII's - 275/45r20.
Not too wide.. not too tall.. they (IMHO) and in many others on this forum - look the best - and the best part is that they are cheaper than the toyo and falkens

Back