What about snow? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What about snow?

I am looking for tire/wheel solutions for my 2004 v8 that can get it close to the snow performance of my 1995 Subaru. I got stuck after a big snow storm that would not have phased my Subaru Outback. I work at a ski resort at 8k feet, and it really would help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

In the snow, tire "sipping" usually helps a great deal.

If you do not know what "sipping" is, please Google it :)

Bridgestone Blizzack or similiar dedicated snow tire at all four corners is considered the state-of-the-art right now for snow traction. If you try to run them all year long they will not last long at all.

Thanks for the replies already!

Is there a good all year mud/snow?

IZwack said:
In the snow, tire "sipping" usually helps a great deal.

If you do not know what "sipping" is, please Google it :)

I thought "sipping" was what you do with hot chocolate. :p

When I googled "siping" , I found this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siping

On topic of snow tires, I bought some Pirelli Scorpians last fall and they seem to be pretty good in the snow and relatively quiet on pavement. They are an A/T tread style.

I run Toyo Open COuntry Ats on my Sport, and they have impressed me in the snow. I've been through the powdery stuff and the wet stuff and nothing seems to really stop it, but they do stop well too. Theres a good amount of siping on them for the rain and snow. They also seem to do well in mud, they self clean really well. HTH

Dan

Back