What Brand Plugs and Wires? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What Brand Plugs and Wires?

What Plugs do you use??

• Bosch

Votes: 101 38.0%
  • Denso

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • Motorcraft

Votes: 130 48.9%
  • NGK

Votes: 19 7.1%
  • Splitfire

Votes: 13 4.9%

• Total voters
Bosch +4 plat plugs and Splitfire wires... havent had any problems on my 4.0 OHV and have probably 5-8k on them.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

5.0 wires

For the 5.0 in my mustang I run the 9mm Ford Racing wires. cured my stutter problem, and the extra thickness helps prevent cracking from heat along with my boots and they are labled and precut for each individual cylinder. I run splitfire platnum plugs also.

My Ranger still has everything OEM, but that will change after I get my intake and headers.

Autolite Platinun plugs with custom LiveWires

I use Champion plugs and Taylor spiral pro wires

I have Jacobs wires and Motorcraft Plat's.

Do the Bosch Platinum +4's

Are they really worth the money? Will they honestly make a difference. I am happy with my Motorcraft Platinums (double platinums like what came in it) but I was just curious.

I'm happy with my plat 4's. They seem to make a difference to me.

Autolite plugs, OEM wires.

Wow

390k+ Wow. ¿Do you use Amsoil? or ¿Has it been rebuilt?

Is any one useing the taylor spiro-pro wires on there SOHC. I would like to use these. does anyone have a site where they sell them. Ive been looling for a while now and cant find them for the SOHC. thanks

Autocraft platinum and Motorcraft 8mm wires.

autolite platinums and borg warners here. dramatically different than the crap that was on my rig when i bought it.

I run standard Bosch Platinums with Bosch wires. Not that I like tham to match but it was the best they had at the time. When I pulled the plugs on the truck after I bought it I found 3 Autolite, 2 Motorcraft & 1 Champion plug. And wouldn't you know it EVERY wire snapped when I pulled them off. I still dont know how it ran at all!! But back to the point I run the Bosch plugs in everything I own. :D :cool:

yea i run bosch plugs and wires also... i run i think the call it the tripple tip platnum or whatever?? its the ones that have the triple tip....

i run bosch jstu becuase that what my brother has alaways run on his vehicles (cept his ranger but tis a beater)

PEACE

Bosch platinum +4s and stainless braided race wires.

Any thoughts on the Accel stuff? I've had my truck for about 50K, and haven't done jack for ignition, it's got well over 100K on it now, and I haven't a clue if any of it's been changed. Runs only a bit rough at idle when cold, then runs plenty smooth. I think that can say quite a bit for Motorcraft, as that's what's in it now. All stock, baby.

97 EB V8 AWD. 102K

*Blows dust off thread*

Time to change plugs and wires....
Seems like the general consensus here for plugs is definately Bosch +4s. For wires, it looks like Taylor Spiros.... I've never heard of these....I assume it is a quality brand since many of you use it- can I find it at a local auto store, i.e., NAPA, Autozone, etc? Also, its my first time buying/changing this stuff-- do I just tell the guy behind the counter 4.0 OHV Explorer and he will get the right plugs/wires (wire lengths?)? Thanks guys. I'd be lost without you...

One more thing--- estimated cost for Spiros (8mm?) and Bosch +4s?

all of the auto parts stores have a few brands of wires, with different prices and quality. go for the pricier ones, i would imagine that the brand really is not that critical. yes, all you have to do is give them your year make model and they will give you the right kit for your rig.

www.fordpartsnetwork.com has the Ford factory wires for your EX for $29.99. Thats FORD factory wires. More than what you need for a stock 4.0. They also have motorcraft spark plugs which is all you need, again for a stock 4.0. Anything more than these won't do you much good if your stock. Just call them and they will know what you need. I E-Mailed them and they responded quickly.
LOOK UP! They are a sponsor of this site.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Rock on. Thanks :chug:

Back