What can I do to fix this rocker panel?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What can I do to fix this rocker panel??

Ok guys I need some ideas on how to fix this rocker panel without getting a body shop to weld in a new rear quarter panel. I was trying toi think of a way to trim it and possibly get a dolly to hammer it clean to the lower line where the bumper meets. Ya know the usual area where guys cut the rear rocker off.

My problem is the damage is just above the body line where you would normally trim the rear rocker. I know very little about body work but I am willing to give it a shot cause I have nothing to lose here.

9485carnage3.jpg

Oh and the rest of the rocker is rolled up under the rear quarter if you can tell in this pic.
9485carnage1.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ouch how did you do that?

I remember when you posted that. I should get some pics of the damage done to mine when my wheel came off at 65 mph. Just haven't had the $$$ to have it fixed

Technically not the rocker pannel, it is the quarter panel.
As always it boils down to your desired results.
Simple as making a hem ( folding it over ) and calling it a day.
To getting some sheet metal from your local hardware store.
To doing it the " right " ( ideal ) way and replacing the quarter
Really, the possibilities are endless.

Did you have your lugs too tight? What made them snap?

well see from this pic the lower line is where I would normally trim the rear quarter lower rocker and the upper line is the actual damage line.
9485blue-med.jpg

here is a better pic of it

9485Ex_s_008-med.jpg

N2MUDN91 said:
Did you have your lugs too tight? What made them snap?

well originally I suspected someone had loosened the nuts, but now I am not sure.

I had wheel spacers on the rear and when I replaced the wheel studs I noticed that the stock ones were short. My buddy that I got the spacers from said his Ex had longer wheel studs when he saw the old ones. We think that possibly the stock studs on my shafts were not allowing the nut enough bite and somehow caused 4 of the studs to shear off.

I just dont know why Ford uses different parts on the same vehicles.

go the the junk yard with a sawzall and cut off a chunk of quarter panel of a matching truck
match up the your truck cut a nice smooth seam, weld into place, grind down the welds, puddy to desired smoothness, repaint.

hmm wouldn't that require it to be TIG welded.

no you can use a mig

hmm that's intersting. I was figuring I would have to find a line and cut the metal then try to hammer some shape to what was left to make it look decent.

I know many guys that cut this rear section off from behind the tire either for a new rear bumper or wheel clearance. I was figuring I would make it look that way.

I may just have to get a sawzall and get a buddy to do the MIG work for me.

the only thing that going to be a prob is that gas door if it was the other side it wouldn't be as hard to fit the new one on

Well maybe it would be a good time to change the filler location and close up that spot. I saw a sweet filler location trick online where the rear tailight just hinges down and the filler neck is in there.

Hmm now that I think about that ..... fuel and electrical maybe that wasn't such a good idea. But I bet I could do some creative re-routing of the filler neck somewhere.

any ideas??

What about behind the licsense plate?

Back