• Register Today It's free!

What did ford do?!?

mowermechanic

Reaction score
City, State
Federal Way, Wa
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 Limited
My 4.0L OHV 1994 explorer, possibly needs a used engine. 1991-1992 X's horsepower was rated at 155HP. For 1993-1994 they were rated at 170HP?!? I don't want to miss out on 15 free horses. Was the internals of the engine changed? (compression, valve timing/lift/duration, head design?) OR was it external? (fuel injectors, ignition timing?) OR did FORD just change their rating process? -Adam

Cracked
Heads
Every
Valve
Rattles
Oil
Leaks
Engine
Ticks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My 4.0L OHV 1994 explorer, possibly needs a used engine. 1991-1992 X's horsepower was rated at 155HP. For 1993-1994 they were rated at 170HP?!? I don't want to miss out on 15 free horses. Was the internals of the engine changed? (compression, valve timing/lift/duration, head design?) OR was it external? (fuel injectors, ignition timing?) OR did FORD just change their rating process? -Adam

Cracked
Heads
Every
Valve
Rattles
Oil
Leaks
Engine
Ticks

Not sure about that. My '93's rated at 154 as well. Nothing really changed until 1995.

heads changed slightly, added EGR and 2 02 sensors,
better computer tune

91-92 heads are weakest, 93-94 were improved, 95+ were best,
95+ got plastic intake, 96-97+ got 8 bolt crank
other then that you can use any 4.0L pushrod long block in your 91-94 truck.
I try to find the lowest miles for the best price from the latest year when swapping them out.
Usually you can find 96-99 engines with under 80K miles from the local yards for $350 or so
sometimes it requires changing out the flywheel or flexplate because the 97+ had an 8 bolt crank, so unless your new engine came from the same type of trans you currently have you may need 8 bolts and a flywheel/flexplate from Ford, about $45

The Ford Explorer was released in March 1990 as a 1991 model. It was equipped with a 4.0 L 155 hp (116 kW) V6 engine and 4-speed A4LD automatic transmission or 5-speed M5OD manual transmission. Like the Ford Bronco II it replaced, it was an SUV derivative of the Ford Ranger Pickup, but larger. Following the Chevrolet S-10 Blazer, it came in both 2-door and 4-door bodystyles. It was available with rear or four-wheel drive. The four-wheel drive versions came with a Borg Warner 1354 transfer case. All Explorers came with the 8.8" Ford rear axle in either a limited slip or open version with a variety of available gear ratios. Explorers came in 4 trim levels: base XL, XLT, Sport (only available on the two-door version), and the upscale Eddie Bauer Edition. 15 hp (11 kW) was added for 1993 for a total of 170 hp (119 kW). The Limited edition, added for 1993, was available only in the 4-door style and was even more upscale than the Eddie Bauer version. It featured automatic headlights, foglamps, an automatic transmission as standard equipment, an auto-dimming rear view mirror, a center roof console with compass and outside thermometer, special wheels, and a special grille.

(quoted from wikipedia.org) they are usually pretty accurate, not always though.

I've seen somewhere that it went from 155 to 160 from 92 to 93...but I don't remember where I saw that...

You got it

You have the 170hp engine;) (unless your Limited is any other color than WHITE:p: Only the White ones got the extra hp).

Chip, MAF, throttle body, exhaust. Or you could just regrear and sacrafice top speed for quickness:eek:

Back