What do you REALLY think about your '06+???? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What do you REALLY think about your '06+????

I love the way my V6 cruises the highway. Very smooth and quiet at steady 50-80 MPH. I hate the way it sounds under half throttle or more acceleration. The names John Deere and Troy Built come to mind. Such a drastic difference from my Accord EX V6 which cruises silently AND makes a pleasing mechanical sound under load even winding out to 6000 rpm it doesnt sound like it is about to air mail a rod thru the block.

I think the power mirrors are junk both because of the way they respond inconsistantly to the remote and because when I position the mirrors out and up, they hit the edge of the mirror housing and bind up.

The top of the dash has so many shapes and seams which reflect their pattern onto the windshield.

I wish the huge headrests on the second and third rows were easily removed since our children are small (2 months, 2 years, 4 years, 5 years) and all they do is block the rear view.

I wish it had a traditional trans fluid dipstick so I could check regularly.

I check my oil religiously and the plastic hood feels like it was engineered for about 50 open/close cycles before the hinge brackets seperate from them Also I feel that the bottom of the radiator hangs dangerously low to the ground not just for off roading but even suburban road hazzards.

I still feel it was a good value for my family truckster but a little more attention to detail goes along way with me.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The top of the dash has so many shapes and seams which reflect their pattern onto the windshield.

I wish the huge headrests on the second and third rows were easily removed since our children are small (2 months, 2 years, 4 years, 5 years) and all they do is block the rear view.

I agree 100% with the dash board!!! It looks rediculous and the light tan reflects badly onto the windshield. Polorized sunglasses are a MUST driving this truck.

The second row headrests are easily removeable. This is also a must for toddler car seats. Take a paper clip, bend it straight, and stick it into the tiny hole at the base of the headrest post. Just push it in, and pull up on the headrest. You have to do both posts on each one.

I agree 100% with the dash board!!! It looks rediculous and the light tan reflects badly onto the windshield. Polorized sunglasses are a MUST driving this truck.

The second row headrests are easily removeable. This is also a must for toddler car seats. Take a paper clip, bend it straight, and stick it into the tiny hole at the base of the headrest post. Just push it in, and pull up on the headrest. You have to do both posts on each one.

You know, you can just pull the strap in the back of the headrest and it will drop forward. I always do that for the 3rd row seats.

Ah yes of course you can... This doesn't do any good for child car seats. The headrests have to be removed.

I have an 06 EB V8 that is completely loaded, and an 04 Limited. The 04 would absolutely SMOKE the 06 in a drag race. I don't know what it is, but the 06 feels like a slug compared to the 04. I also HATE the steering wheel buttons. Your fingers have to be in some very odd positions to use them. Not very ergonomic. The 04 steering wheel controls are better. Other than that... i love it!

I am not a big fan of the steering wheel buttons either.

We have an 06 EB V8, love it. I don't know if it is the quieter interior or more solid frame on the 06, but it is unlikely that your 04 is faster unless something is wrong with your 06 (or if you forgot to mention the supercharger on your 04...:eek: )

Car and Driver tested the 04 @ 8.9 0-60 and 16.8 1/4 mile for a V8 AWD.

For the 06, they got Performance ratings
Zero to 60 mph: 7.8
Standing 1/4-mile: 16.0

I am not a big fan of the steering wheel buttons either.

We have an 06 EB V8, love it. I don't know if it is the quieter interior or more solid frame on the 06, but it is unlikely that your 04 is faster unless something is wrong with your 06 (or if you forgot to mention the supercharger on your 04...:eek: )

Car and Driver tested the 04 @ 8.9 0-60 and 16.8 1/4 mile for a V8 AWD.

For the 06, they got Performance ratings
Zero to 60 mph: 7.8
Standing 1/4-mile: 16.0

my 06 V8 runs a 5.60-5.76 0-60. it has a kkm intake and an XCalII

I wish it had a traditional trans fluid dipstick so I could check regularly.
Explain this to me. I am embarrased to say that I have yet to open the hood of my 07 so I had no clue there was a dipstick issue.

The only things I have found that annoy me so far are the stupid placement of the front door pulls, how much of a process it is to access the 3rd row seat due to the middle seat headrests and the fact that the small hitch cant be replaced with a class III/IV since it is welded and you have to mount below it.

Im also not real happy that Ford changed the roof rack rails and I cant use the same Yakima rack I have for my Sport Trac.

I love the Sirrus radio though.

Time to open that hood...GENTLY. You will not see a trans dipstick because there isnt one. If you think you may be low on fluid, just stop by your local stealership where the fancy equipment will be happy to check/ fill it for you.
Quality may not be job one, but it is still in the top ten.

It needs more power and what ever happened to the regular door handle. It needs a grab handle to close like normal. The older generations were more user friendly. I love the new interior and everything but the door handle was a poor design. It needs a grab handle or something better to close the door. That is just my opinion.

2007 "ironman"

I have owned my 2007 4.0 IRONMAN since November and other than a few minor things it's a nice truck. On the number 1 fan speed for the heater or air conditioner it makes a sound it's really quiet but with the radio off you can hear it, kinda sounds like one of the fan blades is like a hair too long or something. Yes the turn signal switch is a bit high and kinda hard to get used too at first. I live in Germany and am always driving at high speeds, high speeds meaning 85-95MPH I think the truck has alot of road noise, when you reach about 60MPH is when it starts to get loud. The family entertainment system is actually not bad, with the wireless headphones your passengers can listen to the radio, the cd thats in the CD player or the DVD thats in the DVD player, they can switch between any preset radio station that you have stored. I love the interior of mine I upgraded to the two tone leather, Black and Tan. I get compliments wherever I go, plus the seats are pretty comfortable. I have about 6000 miles on mine and it seams to be ok other than some minor things. There is some sort of sound in the brakes when I first drive it in the mornings like a slight klunking, there is a rattling noise in the back somewhere in the undercarriage when I travel over bumps, and this evening I burned out my third headlight all three on the left side I don't know whats up with that, like I said I live in Germany so warranty work can be an issue, I am trying to get it in soon I will let you know the outcome. Have great day and good luck I hope I was of some help.

Some updates after taking the 07 on a Tripto Durango, Co this last week. We have racked up a little over 2500 miles so far and While I love the looks and its a nice riding truck, I think the Ford engineers were asleep at the wheel in several areas.

1- Shifts out of overdrive waaaay too much. Evan cruising across the Kansas plains with the CC set at 74, it would shift out of OD on several occasions to hold its speed. This one downshifts more during normal driving than when I experimented towing my boat in OD with my 01. This truck will downshift for speedbumps!

2- I dont like the drive-by-wire deal. Push the gas pedal and it feels like nothing is happening until it downshifts, many times taking a two gear drop to get moving.

3- Interior styling was obviously higher on the list than functionality. There is a real lack of cubbys and storage areas. The colsole, while much bigger than the one in the Escape we traded in, has less interior room. and there were no less than three areas at front of console and dash area to stash small things that are absent on the Ex. The placement of the shifter, while nice looking, makes the cup holders inconvenient to use. The poor placement of the single (the Escape had 2 and so deos my 01) power point in the console also sucks. With a phone charger plugged in there, it interferes with a drink in the rear cupholder. I think they should go back to column shift and use the console area for storage and more user friendly cupholders. Then there are of course the already mentioned awkward door pulls, etc. But it does look nice in there.

4- Heated rear console cupholders. Not supposed to be but they are. The heating ducts in the console really heet that thing up. Make sure to have plenty of ince in any beverage placed in there.

5- Not happy about the lack of transmission dipstick. I can only assume it is a strategy to generate service business because I cant possibly think why else they would do that. And I bet they would have no problem denying warranty due to low fluid either.

5- Engine is noisier than I think it should be. Under acceleration with the window down, it sounds like a thrashing machine. The 4.0 in my 01 doesnt make that much noise even with the timing chain rattle.

XCal and Intake is not dropping that much time of 0-60, sorry.

yeah i didnt believe it either. The thing was calibrated wrong, its more like 6-7 seconds, im getting results all over the place on my accelerometer. My bad :p

06 Limited v-8/4x4

I just traded in my 98 Exp 5.0 AWD faithful towing mule for a 06 limited due to another addition to the family requiring a 3rd row seat. The drive by wire can be quirky and if my seat of the pants is accurate the 5.0 pulled stronger in 1st gear off the line but the 06 is way more refined and the subsequent gears (2-6) take advantage of the engines torque better. I get about 15.7-16mpg so far mixed and with strictly highway with the cruise set at 65 (gas is expensive) it can get 24 (23 at 70) which is better than my Chrysler Town and COuntry with the 3.8 engine. I agree with others in that the door pull handles are poorly designed, I wonder how that passed the drivers that Ford uses to rate a vehicles suitablity. I read in the 07 brochure that they were changed again so I guess the feedback finally got back to Ford on those. I plan on testing it pulling my 25" boat/trailer with an estimated 7000# weight that the 98 pulled with no problems (with rear air shocks). Can I post pics in my responses with the basic free membership and if so how? I want to put in a K & N and anything else that can free up horsepower and get the engine stingier on fuel useage.

We have a 2008 Explorer Limited with the V6 and we love it. Comfortably can fit 5 adults in the front and 2nd rows.

Things I have noticed and will get fixed with the first trip in for warranty work:

- The gap between the shifter console and the console where the radio is, is not uniform through out. It is bigger on one side than the other.

- The chrome piece on the hood looks like it has been chipped alittle causing the chrome to flake.

Things I love:

- The ride quality is outstanding ( I drive a 2001 F150 and you can feel everything in it )

- Third row power third row seats that go flush into the floor.

- SYNC system is AWESOME (will be better when we get our IPOD's)

- The heated seats and driving comforts are top notch (navigation, adjusted pedals, etc.)

Ditto what most people have already said. I went from a 2000 XLS to a 2006 XLT and the 2000 seemed much quicked (both 4.0 V6's). The 2006 is much smoother though. My biggest complaint is the stupid traction control that you cannot turn off. DO NOT ever get yourself into a position where you have to spin your tires to get unstuck! The traction control kicks in and limits wheelspin, which really sucks in deep snow or mud. There are times when spinning your tires is good. I know this isnt really an offroad vehicle and I dont use it as such (I have a lifted 1990 3/4 ton Suburban for that) but I have taken it in some moderatly deep (about a foot) snow to play around and promtly got stuck (ground clearance is an issue as well). Even in 4 low it still kicks in. I hate that feature. Other than that great truck, acceptable mileage, smooth and comfortable, and no problems or issues with it yet (33,000 miles).

I have a traction off button in my Ex.....

I have a traction off button in my Ex.....
Huh, either mine doesnt work or it doesnt really turn it off. Either way, when you try to spin your wheels whether in Hi, Lo, or Auto, at some point the traction control kicks in and limits the wheelspin. It sucks.

Huh, either mine doesnt work or it doesnt really turn it off. Either way, when you try to spin your wheels whether in Hi, Lo, or Auto, at some point the traction control kicks in and limits the wheelspin. It sucks.
OK I stand corrected. I guess I should have read my owners manual a little better. If you just press the button to disable the traction control it does not disable everything, it still leaves the braking function (to limit wheel spin) on. You have to actually hold the button for 5 seconds to fully disable ALL the traction control features, even then it only works below 25 mph so the wheel spin is still kinda restricted.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

05 explorer now 07 Sport Trac

I had an 05 Explorer V6 as a company car but now have a 07 Sport Trac V8 as my own.

I think the V8 is WAY better in every sense, the gearbox is better, I'm getting better MPG (18-22mpg), Faster, Smoother.

I have the basic XLT and it is doing great, 16 months old now with 24,000 miles. One slight rattle from the seat belt that I'm having fixed on warranty. The standard stereo was a joke but I now have a great Kenwood system.

Back