what do you think about change LPG OR GAS? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

what do you think about change LPG OR GAS?

luis_lapray

Reaction score
City, State
Chihuahua
Year, Model & Trim Level
EDDIE BAUER 1993 2WD
HELLo.
I'm thinking about to change my explorer to lpg or natural gas because here in Mexico the fuel is expensive (2.8 dollar/gallon vs 1.4 dollar natural gas) the diference between them is about double.
I heard that if change to gas(lpg) the engine go to bad, or the fuel economy won't to be a big.
I'm got 15-16 mpg in city, but other people talk me with the change to gas that I will get 11-12 mpg, it's true this?

HELLO AND GOOD BAY.

You would find an engine and transmission already converted and swap it in, since you have a 2WD, you don't need to worry about any transfer case. You would need to have mounts and a driveshaft made. Look around and see who is doing the conversions in your area and see what they think. I would not try to convert the 4.0L, too many unknowns, too much work. You will probably be looking for a carburated V-6 to convert. Often, these are converted so they can run on either gasoline or propane.

I had a friend with a combo like that in a 1-1/2 ton truck, he pulled a 5th wheel across Canada on propane, so it can be done. He started it and warmed it up on gas and flipped to propane on the highways. If I recall, that was a carburated big-block V-8.

I have not heard of a vehicle running on natural gas, only propane (LPG).

ACTUALLY, since he is in mexico, it isn't hard to find shops that convert vehicles to LPG or CNG. You will experience a drop in mileage because it is a less energetic fuel, but for the most part, there is usually a net gain from going to CNG or LPG, especially on larger vehicles that get really poor mileage to begin with. The conversion is pretty expensive though, unless you can find a converted vehicle in a salvage yard.

Here in the states, we generally only convert heavy duty trucks to LPG, and even then, most of the converted trucks you will ever find here belong to propane distributors. It isn't a really popular conversion here, especially since historically, gasoline used to always be pretty cheap here (yours is frequently cheaper though, go figure), so it didn't make economic sense, and because there is usually a bit of hassle in emissions controlled states. CNG conversions are almost unheard of in this country. Once again, most of the converted vehicles belong to gas companies. CNG conversions are MUCH more popular in Europe than north, central and South America.

Back