• Register Today It's free!

What exhaust system?????

86caprirs

Reaction score
City, State
Chestermere, Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Explorer 4.0L 4x4 XL
I have a 92 4.0L auto with 4x4 and my exhaust system is well fallen off because of rust.Instead of installing the stock muffler and tail pipe on it,I was wondering what you guys were running for exhaust and if it is SI/DO or SI/SO or true duel out. I was going to gut the cats for starters but i am not sure what muffler i want.I want the noise on the outside not on the inside of the vehical.I saw a 4.0L ranger that had a dynomax muffler with single in duel out and at idle it sounded like a 302.But this was on a truck not a SUV.

Let me know what you guys are running and if you have any sound clips.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Small tip on gutting cats.

This is a foolish thing done by many that dont know better. Sorry not trying to insult anyone here but its just not a good idea. Reason being is now you create turbulence in the shell that used to be a cat. Turbulence is the enemy of flow which is what you really really want. IF you want to get rid of your cats ( i do not in any way condone this) get a "test" pipe made or something of the like.

I am sure if you search enough you will find both good and bad info on exhausts. In the end its up to you to decide

Well how do i get a pipe that is really wide down to a normal size round pipe???I was just going to gut the first cat and remove the second cat and replace with a pipe. I did this with my 96 F-150 that had 2 pipes go into the cat and come out a 3" pipe.Then removed the second cat and extended the 3" pipe to match the Gibson cat back. I had no performance problems at all. Ran alot better.Oh and i used O2 sims on the OBDII so no light came on in the F-150.

Also, Mac made the power chamber for the Mustang so that when the exhaust came down from the headers it went into a big chamber and then out from there to the mufflers. Is that not the same thing i am doing??????

Anyone running this system?

Flowmaster 17227 50 series SUV and 2.25" cat back?????

$177.00 at Summit racing.

Any halfway decent exhaust place can make a test pipe for your sploder. gutting cats is proven to cause performance drops, its just the way it is. The stang trick is something else designed to keep flow moving at all times, different concept and wouldnt work where the cats are on the x anyway.

So what i should be doing is cutting the 2 tubes just before it goes into the cat,get a 2 into 1 pipe and run it from there.Removing the cats should also help in not overheating the 2 rubber o-ringed things at the side of the trans.Heat will be less and further away from them....

No dont alter the factory Y pipe. Now any good exhaust guy can work with the wacky fat inlet to the first cat. If they cant go somewhere else, yo udont want a newbie doing custom stuff anyway.

Back