What exhaust to make V6 sound like V8? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What exhaust to make V6 sound like V8?

98 XLT 4x4

Reaction score
City, State
Easton, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Explorer XLT
I am trying to find exhaust to make my V6 X sound like a V8 or atleast have a deeper rumble. Anyone got any ideas. Websites? Prices? part numbers? etc. Thanks

XLT

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A V6 is a V6 and a V8 is a V8. That being said:

Dead Link Removed

I understand that. But im sure there are exhaust systems out there that give you more of a rumble then the V6 does but not too loud.

XLT

flowmaster 40 non delta is prob the loudest you will get. a magnaflow wouldnt be a bad choice either.

No matter what system you go with, the deep rumble will only be below 2500 RPM. Anything above that and the V6 buzz will overcome the deeper tone.

I suggest getting a resonator, especially with a more aggressive Flowmaster model or Magnaflow to make the upper RPMs sound better.

Originally posted by Alec
I suggest getting a resonator, especially with a more aggressive Flowmaster model or Magnaflow to make the upper RPMs sound better.

Will this clear up the buzzing type noise in the upper RPMs?

Flowmaster 40 series sounds nice, but you're never gonna get it to sound like a V8, unless you swap in a V8 of course ;)

Yes, a resonator definately helps. I had 2 after I redid the exhaust with the s/c. One between the cat and muffler and one right after the muffler. Got rid of all the drone and buzz. Still sounded like a V6, but unlike any other 6 I've ever heard :D

O god, the exhaust shop is going to kill me! Where did you get your resonators, or did they have it at the place where you got it done?

The shop had them. Since the muffler was 3" in/out both resonators were also, and after the 2nd it went to a 2.5" tailpipe.

well if money is not really a factor buy a BORLA muffler from somewhere get some tips you like (mine came from summit 130$) pics are on my WEBSITE thats how i did it. i just saved a bunch on the system cause a local shop bent the pipes. BORLA muffler systems are great, sound and the fact they use T303 stainless steel. its the stuff they use on aircrafts n' stuff. but over all my setup cost me about 350$

i got a full bullet system, it seems like not many people have heard of bullet exhaust. But the custom exhaust guy told me they make some of the highest quality stuff. i have a tip and muffler from them. he had a magnaflow tip and a bullet, both were same size and shape, the bullet weighed at least twice as much. My car really sounds great below 3k, after that it gets racy sounding. but i would recommend this stuff. its good

http://www.bulletperformance.com/

I may just have to make a trip over there then since I've "fallen" into some money.

What size should i get? 2.25" or 2.5". I might go with the Borla or Flowmaster. Not sure yet.

XLT

Either one is probably good, I know my show didn't have the dies to do sharp bends with a 2.5 pipe so I was limited to a 2.25 only.

Back