• Register Today It's free!

What is cheapest way to SAS?

SuperEx91

Reaction score
City, State
Toledo, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 XLT EB
I am looking for the cheapest way to SAS my ex. I am sure this is what i want to do for obvious reasons. I am in the off road club at school and need a way to do it so that it can be finished mid to late summer.

My question is what way would be cheapest yet allow for improvement over time and still be reliable off the bat?

I planned on a dana 44, but should i use radius arms off the bronco with the c-bushings or should i get RAs with heims?

would 5.5 inch lift spring for a bronco work?

I also planned on the spoa and shackles for the rear. I was reading that the aussie locker is very reliable and cheap but can it still be driven on the street?

I have searched the threads and compiled information but it seems everyones swap is really different. I do not have a lot of experience so i have tried to design my own setup but have had numerous problems.

What about a three link? I can make the links if the materiel isnt too expensive. Is there a website that explains the geometry maybe? I need all the help i can get guys. I know that this should be well thought out before hand but it seems that i cant design a setup without buying half the stuff first. Any halp is greatly appreciated. :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok, after a long night of surfing, here is what i have put together so far. This is not going to be that cheap but it wont be bad over time part by part.

Front axle:
-HP Dana 44----$200-250
-4:56 gears (reverse cut)-----$150
-Aussie locker-----$230
Rear Axle:
-Ford 9”-----$200-250
-4:56 gears -----$150
-spool or locker(not sure yet)-----$100-400
Front suspension:
-5.5” lift coil springs from wild horses 4x4-----$150
-Tubular radius arms from cage off road-----$ unknown
-Dual shock mounts from cage off road-----$unknown
Rear suspension:
-SPOA lift-----$unknown
-Warrior shackles-----$unknown

How does this sound? I know i am missing a bunch of stuff, im sure. anybody try these components with success? please let me know what else will be invloved with this. I tried to ask the reps from these companies but all they give you is the price and the number to order of course. :rolleyes: oh well.
this is just the rough plan, i know it will need fine tuning.

Shocks, extended brake lines, steering parts, extended rear driveline, bearings, brakes and seals for axles, etc.....

-warrior shackels aproximatley-55

a good way to get a feel for how much an SAS will cost you is to read the threads on here. They can range from 500$-endless. Some of the good threads to check out are Rockragers SAS it is done with leaves but you get the idea. BmxKing's is good just look atr them and make sure you do lot's of research :thumbsup: and good luck.

if your tryin to keep it on the cheap and get it done soon I would say a leaf sprung SAS is in your future. Thats what im planning on doing, as far as your prices go they seem a bit high, key to a cheap SAS is to take your time and search the forums... alot. I got my EB d44 for 50 bucks, not a bad deal at all. Right now these are for sale on RRORC, not sure how far they are from you but its 300 for the set, you could prolly work him down some as well.

http://rrorc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27513

But dont forget as mentioned before, master installs for the axles, steering parts, driveshafts f/r new brakes, shocks, brakelines and if your not doing the work yourself (ie: gears and lockers, welding, ect) then you need cost of labor as well. Oh and assuming you will want new axle shafts, tires, rims, u-joints and other misc tools. Make sure you add those in, they will add most of the cost of the swap.

To answer your questions an aussie locker is an automatic locker, which allows for corners. I dont believe that a bronco 5.5" lift will work, but what does that have to do with an SAS? bronco 5.5" lift coils will work, but I dont know about all the bracketry. ANd I would vote against a spool for the rear, caus its gonna give you problems on pavement

instead of buying components seprate, find a non running or cheap donor rig and transfer the suspension, then later do the upgrades you want. this way you will have the small parts that nickel and dime you, your axles will have the same gear ratios etc...you may even end up being able to part out the rest of the donor rig for some extra cash.
I bought my 78 f-150 w/ 4" lift as a runner for $400 and then sold the engine/trans and transfercase for $400 which equals a free suspension.

Back