What is that quiet sound from my Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What is that quiet sound from my Explorer

ROBinGa

Reaction score
City, State
Ga
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer XLT 4x4 4.6
So this afternoon I changed both my front hubs and along with the rear bearings I had put in a couple weeks ago, this thing is super quiet now. In fact it's so much quieter that I'm hearing the torque convter chugging sound at lower speeds now that you couldn't hear before as much. But the sound like mud grip tires roaring as you drove down the road is totally gone. Very pleased.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So this afternoon I changed both my front hubs and along with the rear bearings I had put in a couple weeks ago, this thing is super quiet now. In fact it's so much quieter that I'm hearing the torque convter chugging sound at lower speeds now that you couldn't hear before as much. But the sound like mud grip tires roaring as you drove down the road is totally gone. Very pleased.
@ROBinGa
Happy for you! Interested in learning more about chugging converters, though! Wonder if it's gasping in need of more oil? ;)
You might consider checking for play in the front driveshaft CV joint, by the Transfer Case. imp

This Explorer has made that noise since we bought it 12 years and 130,000 miles ago. I've read others reporting same thing and diagnosis is noisy torque converter. I will be doing tran fluid and filter change soon. I am betting that it's never been done...

It was night and day difference when I had my left rear bearing replaced. It was amazing how much fuel economy I picked up also. I am glad I did the front hubs before they went out. Knock on wood my rear right bearing holds out for a while, it's the only one not changed.

This Explorer has made that noise since we bought it 12 years and 130,000 miles ago... I will be doing tran fluid and filter change soon. I am betting that it's never been done...
That's a pretty good bet, considering how long you've owned the thing :chug:

I did my front left on saturday and i still have a little noise coming from the left rear..but night and day noise difference..

Back