What is the issue with this huge axle nuts torques? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What is the issue with this huge axle nuts torques?

Bazz270

Reaction score
City, State
Haifa,Israel
Year, Model & Trim Level
Ford Explorer 2007 XLT
Hi all

What is the reason for 250nm of torque on the axle nuts?why are te CV joints needs this huge clamp force to the hub assembly.

I mean there is no preload needed since the wheel bearings are the same as the RWD explorer ones without this axle nuts at all.

And why manual claims to torque the wheels only off the ground?whats the relation between cv shaft clamp force and hub bearing damage?

Thanks all

The unit bearings will come apart if you do not torque the cv nut axle to spec
The way the bearings are built on these rigs the cv stub shaft and nut is what keeps the inner and outer bearings inside that unit bearing together.

Tough lesson to learn! Years ago I had my stepson on the payroll and I paid him to install my new motorcraft front wheel bearings, 2001 mountaineer premier edition, I made it about 300 yards and both front tires started to wobble…. Destroyed both bearings. He failed to do The final torque to 209+ ft lbs fun times
Needed a trailer and new set of bearings. After that I checked all torque myself

Ok but RWD gen 4 explorers came without axle shafts and nuts..what holds the same part number hub bearing in this case except of knuckle to hub bolts?

I mean
In gen 4 or 3 situation only 3 knuckle bolts holds the whole hub bearing assembly and cv joint has a couple of inches of axial play .so what this axle nut actually does except of half shaft spline hold?

Maybe halfshaft spline tension force equal distribution?

Back