what is this. no air except on high | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

what is this. no air except on high

Xeek

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Virginia Beach, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 xlt
firstly this is not an explorer. its a 92 f350. but hvac cant be to much different between the two except locations right?

so my problem is i only had heat/ac on high fan speed, and it would make terrible noises. it eventually went completely dead. no airflow on any fan speed.
cold weather came, so i replaced the blower motor and wheel as i was suggested to, and it still only works on high, but its quiet now, no weird noises.

when i was in there i saw a vacuum line that had a hole in it, and while fiddling with the blower it broke completely.
132_2800.jpg

132_2802.jpg

and just cause it sounds weird, i recorded it. should it should like i got my hands wet and made sucking sounds with them?
http://s141.photobucket.com/albums/r44/xeeky/?action=view&current=132_2803.mp4

It's probably 1 of 2 things. Both of which are relatively cheap to fix. The most likely culprit is the blower motor resistor. It should be mounted somewhere on the air box, probably down under the motor. It's about $18 at rockauto.com. The 2nd possibility would be the dash speed switch. Not as common but they do go bad. I had 1 in an E-350 van go bad and only had low and high. They're about $17 at rockauto. That appears to be the vacuum control for the temp select door. If the line broke it should default to heat.

so i had a combo of the resistor and the blower itself going bad then? cause it made weird noises and then nothing worked at all until i replaced the blower motor. now the resistor is why i only have high? and a small chance its the knob itself? ill do the resistor first then, easier to get to.

so when i had the vents off and the fan on low(lowest it goes), and the dial on cold, i still got cold air from the vents while moving. BUT the line wasnt completely busted at that point, had a hole in it. and this was during summer still at 80+.
still think thats what it is? ill prob just leave it being the ac got cold fast anyway

The resistor being bad could have burned up the motor, or the other way around. Not entirely sure which blend door its for, but that is definitely the vacuum control for 1 of the heat/AC blend doors.

Back