Repairing the Suspension Stabilizer Bar | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Repairing the Suspension Stabilizer Bar

Dewdnoc

Reaction score
City, State
Orange County, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Sport
Hey Guys! Relitively new to the forums (I purchased the CL special for 1250 if you remember seeing my intro) I have a 1996 Ex Sport 4x4. When I got the car and drove it I felt some pretty hard knocks on the front drivers side when i went over bumps. A little investigation revealed that the inside of the tire was warn almost completely bald. I got worried thinking it may be another problem, but a quick check revealed this:

06200737.png

You cant really tell from the picture, but basically there's nothing attaching that link to the suspension arm, and so that rod just wobbles around in there. I can only imagine that when I go over a bump, it grinds down on the rod as its not attached.

Not being mechanically inclined, but tech savvy. I was able to visit www.fordparts.com and I think I located the parts I need.

the three related parts I found were called:

Suspension Stabilizer Bar Link (Part # 5K483 $51.32)
Suspension Stabilizer Bar Link Bolt (Part #5495 $14.10)
Suspension Stabilizer Bar Link Nut (Part #5C491 $9.15)

Does anyone know how difficult this is to replace, also are these reasonable prices for the parts? Even more helpful would be if anyone knows if repairing this will stop the tire from riding on the inside and save me a blow-out on the freeway!

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

look for moog part number K7275 which is the complete kit. Get 2 so you can do both sides. Leave one side loosened a bit to allow room to do the other side, then tighten both sides down once you are on a level surface.

Picture from Amazon.com

41dG0SHtdXL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Be sure to check the frame mounted bushings on the bar ( moog K80025 kit of 2) -they should be firmly tight without a visible oval hole.

312A2142E5L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

You, Sir, are undoubtedly awesome.

First Google search returned www.energysuspensionparts.com, and they had the : MOOG-K7275 for only $11.28!!!!

The bushing on the drivers side is completely gone, (That rod just wobbles all over the place in there), I'll stop by my local parts store to see if they have these available. Are they pretty easy to replace?

Thank you so much. I'll post up pics when I'm done in case anyone in the future has this problem.

*bows* Thank you sir! You made my day. I need to get better at searching these foums so I dont repost. Sorry about that, and thank you very much!

Even more helpful would be if anyone knows if repairing this will stop the tire from riding on the inside and save me a blow-out on the freeway!

Thanks!

No it will not fix your alignment issue.

Check the ball joints and the control arm bushings.
Have the vehicle aligned after you replace anything else you might find lose.

Back