• Register Today It's free!

What is your temp gauge at?

PAExplorerXLT

Reaction score
City, State
Montgomery County, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT 4.0 SOHC AWD
I have plenty of heat and nothing seems to be out of the ordinary but the temp gauge is at about 1/4 when warmed up. Is this normal?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have plenty of heat and nothing seems to be out of the ordinary but the temp gauge is at about 1/4 when warmed up. Is this normal?

Typically, the gauge should be midway. Best way to check is with an ODB reader that can display real time info. That'll tell you the true operating temp of the engine and you can go from there.

The temp gauge is not clinically accurate. They vary from unit to unit. And of course thermostats are of various temps too. My gauge is like yours- about 1/4 way. I wouldn't be concerned unless you have related problems.

How do you define "you have problems"? The car doesn't start?
Gauge needle should be horizontal. Low temperature affect many things of an engine, starting with the gas mileage, ending up with long term wear.

Instead of blaming the sensor automatically, why don't you do a temperature reading with the engine warmed up, via OBDII port - it uses the second sensor, more precise.
I would bet the thermostat is stuck open. The colder will be outside, the worse will get. In Az it might not matter, but in Pa winter is different.

mine (all 5 of them) sit just below mid-way on the gauge, which isn't indicative of an actual temperature, just considered NORMAL. when cool, check your radiator fluid level (not just the plastic reservoir) for full. the only time I've seen the temp gauge read low was when I had a stuck-open thermostat (I was till getting heat out of my heater).

I have a OBDII scanner but I as far I know it just reads the error codes. How do you read the coolant temperature? Are there different scanners?

Scangauge 2 will read codes, clear them and display accurate readings from several sensor's output.

I too am having a too cool situation, and you are correct by assuming the 1/4 reading too low. it should be about half way for proper temp.

I am going to install a genuine ford thermostat today to see if it corrects the situation.

Scangauge 2 will read codes, clear them and display accurate readings from several sensor's output.

I too am having a too cool situation, and you are correct by assuming the 1/4 reading too low. it should be about half way for proper temp.

I am going to install a genuine ford thermostat today to see if it corrects the situation.

Great, please report back. My experience is that it is never the most obvious cause.

Well, I found my issue.

OK. I am not sure what happened but I know for a fact the new thermostat I ordered for the recent motor swap was a 195 degree. I know I verified that is what came in the box. However, this is what I just took out of my engine.

:scratch::scratch::dunno::dunno::shifty_ey:shifty_ey

011_zps0f18a8b9.jpg

I know for a fact I would not have bought that. Something is fishy here

Anyway, I am glad I went in, because I had a tad of trouble pulling off the elbow hose. Found this. The tube was corroded inside the thermostat housing. When I grabbed the hose with pliers the tube slid right out.
Hmmmm. I didn't notice that when I powdercoated it.

012_zpse9686bca.jpg

I am real glad I had another housing hoarded.

Genuine Ford 192 degree 'stat installed and she warms up fine now. Just have to burp it and button it all up.

From my thread here

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3348958#post3348958

yeah, the 195 must have morphed into a 160. it happens sometimes...

Forgot to add that with the scangauge displaying 190 degrees the cluster gauge is just about dead center. :thumbsup:

How about that? A fairly accurate dash guage.

I've got one of these,
ini-Handheld-IR-Infrared-Gun-Surpass-Fluke-62-Free.jpg
it's great for finding where the problem is, you can read the temp in all different places on the engine and radiator.

Forgot to add that with the scangauge displaying 190 degrees the cluster gauge is just about dead center. :thumbsup:

Love my scanguage!

Mine has been reading my water temp on warmer days around 200-210..does yours?

Cooler days it seems to be around 195.

How about that? A fairly accurate dash guage.

I've got one of these,
ini-Handheld-IR-Infrared-Gun-Surpass-Fluke-62-Free.jpg
it's great for finding where the problem is, you can read the temp in all different places on the engine and radiator.

How do you read the coolant temp? Where do you point it at?

Love my scanguage!

Mine has been reading my water temp on warmer days around 200-210..does yours?

Cooler days it seems to be around 195.

I cannot answer that yet as I just now got a good thermostat installed.

The Handheld IR thermometer is a handy tool, but it will not give an accurate coolant temp reading through a hose. To be accurate you need a gauge, however the IR Thermometer will show hot--cold areas.

The Handheld IR thermometer is a handy tool, but it will not give an accurate coolant temp reading through a hose. To be accurate you need a gauge, however the IR Thermometer will show hot--cold areas.

That's what I thought. Even if you point it at the coolant in the expansion tank it is not the temperature you want.

How do you read the coolant temp? Where do you point it at?

Like Turdle said, you can point it at different places to see if there is much of a temp variation.

Places top point it are hoses, thermostat housing, radiator header tanks, cylinder heads.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Like Turdle said, you can point it at different places to see if there is much of a temp variation.

Places top point it are hoses, thermostat housing, radiator header tanks, cylinder heads.

I use a hndheld IR thermometer for powdercoating. The problem with them is the surface you point it at. The more reflective the finish the less accurate the reading.

I could hang 10 test panels of different colors in my oven for the same amount of time, and get 10 different temps if the colors were that much different.

;)

Back