what lights should i get and where/how should i mount 'em? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

what lights should i get and where/how should i mount 'em?

i used to have a set of hella 500 driving lamps on a westin safari bar, but i got sick of the safari bar and sold it, then i sold the lights too, cuz i had no where to put them; that was about 6-8 months ago or so. now, i wanna put some lights back on the front of my truck (hellas probably - most likely, the 500s like i had before, they were good for i used them for, which was basically nothing :D ) my dilemma: where & how should i mount them? i dont want a safari bar again, and i dont really want a $300-$500 brush guard just so i can mount the lights on it. and i definately dont want them on the roof, i want them on the front. so, who's got some suggestions?

thanks guys (and gals.)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, I took those Hella's you sold me :D and mounted them on Hella moly mounts on the front bumper. We had to drill 4 holes into the bumper and put the molys in. They work well. The only thing is one of the bolts went in crooked, so that light aims a bit to the side. Oh well, I make up for it by aiming my spotlight a bit the other way and that way I have a whole spread of light.

hrmm, bumper mount is possible, only prob is i change my mind too much too often. i know ill change my mind again in a few months, and then ill be stuck with holes in the top of the bumper.

what about mounting on the bottom of the bumper, so they hang down in front of the lower valence - like, the oval hole - they would hang down in front of that? anyone do that? that way if i change my mind, holes are on bottom. see, im kinda in a predicament, i want lights on the front, but my truck is street style, so its a tough call where i should put em.

I put a set of PIAA 1552s in the bumper. No holes to drill (I don't like drilling either). I used existing holes in the bumper and fabbed up my own bracket to hold them. It looks really clean, and protects the lights better than if they were hanging below the bumper.

Dead Link Removed

How about this:

Dead Link Removed

Here's what I did:

I made 2 brackets out of 1"x1/4" flat stock. They then bolt between the frame and bumper on the inner bumper bolts. I also made 2 spacers out of the same material to use on the outer bumper bolts.

Dead Link Removed

(these are not exact measurements)

hey jefe, that seems like a helluva idea :) only thing is, i dont have the ability/access to make brackets like that. also, (this is probably obvious) i assume you had to take off the front bumper to get the brackets in there?

Originally posted by tbomb
hey jefe, that seems like a helluva idea :)
I thought so :)
also, (this is probably obvious) i assume you had totake off the front bumper to get the brackets in there?
Yes, it requires the removal, or near removal of the front bumper (you can loosen all 4 bolts, undo one side, and fit them in, and repeat for the other side. that way you don't have to wrestle it to the ground and back up)

tbomb, sounds like something an engineer could help you with? lemme know what you end up doing. Wouldn't 20$ lights that didn't work look good with hella covers on em?

Originally posted by tbomb
hey jefe, that seems like a helluva idea :) only thing is, i dont have the ability/access to make brackets like that. also, (this is probably obvious) i assume you had to take off the front bumper to get the brackets in there?

Hey Jason, if ya wanna bring your X down her, we can fab some brackets up in my garage. As Explortainment said, an engineer can help, and guess what?? I'm an engineer that's only about 30 miles from you (with a heated garage and tools :D ) :confused: . Lemme know if ya wanna bring it down.

?

What about the existing fog light holes . Just replace em' w/ lights that actually work ???

jeff, thanks a lot, i actually worked out a deal with jefe and hes gonna fab em up for me, but maybe in the spring you could help with the install on them?...im a lil nervous about taking off the bumper cuz i know people are always complaing about how its kind of a pain to get it all aligned up nicely again.

and as for needing an engineer, lets not forget that I AM an engineer, well at least in may, penn states gonna give me a piece of paper that says that, i really dont know anything about engineering ;) explortainment just happens to be a fellow CE with me here at school; thanks for the offer, bill :)

rockymntnhi, my stock fog lights work fine, heh. i just want some more lights on the front. i had em before and i took em off, and i kinda miss em.

Originally posted by Stephen S
I put a set of PIAA 1552s in the bumper. No holes to drill (I don't like drilling either). I used existing holes in the bumper and fabbed up my own bracket to hold them. It looks really clean, and protects the lights better than if they were hanging below the bumper.

Dead Link Removed

How about a pic of the bracket and the attaching points?

Originally posted by edlmann

How about a pic of the bracket and the attaching points?

I think I have one somewhere. I'll see if I can find it. If I can't, I'll borrow a digital camera next week sometime and take a few shots for you.

Jefe,
I know this is an old thread...
Where are the airbag sensors in relation to your brackets. I like the idea, I am just concerned about the sensors. I am not against just drilling into the bumper either, but again, I am not sure where the sensors are at.

:bounce:

Well I mounted my lights last night. They look very similar to Jefe's. Only I went straight into the bumper, no brackets. First, I can't believe how easy it was to take the bumper off. Second, I can't believe how much of my truck is plastic. Out of the entire bumper, and I mean the whole thing, there is one strip of steel running behind the bumper where it bolts up to the frame. So, I drilled into the top of the bumper, mounted the lights. The wiring took longer, I didn't want my hella's to be controlled by any other switch. So, where you are suppose to pull power off the highbeam switch, to make the relay change state, I made a jumper off of the power side of the relay. Now, my lights are completely independent. There are some vibration concerns. The lights seem to jump around quite a bit, so I might be making a bracket after all.
I will post pics tonight.

Back