• Register Today It's free!

what parts to get for...

90 xlt

Reaction score
City, State
Bend, Or
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 explorer xlt 4x4
You guys probly see a million threads on the 95+ overhead console. I did a search a while back and headed to my local wrecking yard for one to go into my 91 explorer xlt. I found one out of a 97 I believe, and was about to pull it for $75 but I decided I would ask what parts I need to get for it along with it while im there. The system consists of what? All I know is the console, bracket and the temp sensor but I have no idea where the temp sensor is located. Also how many wires are leaving from it, should I follow the wires and try to pull all of them out? I would really appreciate some info so I can head back out there this weekend before someone else gets the only one out there. Thanks.

i pulled a overhead console out of a 98+ explorer.

get the:

console (of course)

bracket ( "" )

wire harness that plugs into the console. cut the green/orange wire (but leave enough so you can add wire to it, i would say about 6 inches)

pull the harness over to the driver side post that is the frame between the windsheild and the door, take that trim out, the wires (they should be in a loom) and pull as much as you can. i cut mine off as far down as i could which ended up being close to the dashboard and the frame.

the sensor is mounted next to the radiator. i dont have this part yet but will be going to the junkyard friday, but i know the wires should be two of them. one is blue/white the other is blue/yellow. i think you can get to it from the front of the truck (take off the grill), and take the connector also for the sensor and leave as much wire as possible.

hope this helps. i dont think i forgot anything but if i did i'm sure someone will chime in and let ya know.

Back