What price should I sell my 2013 Explorer Sport? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What price should I sell my 2013 Explorer Sport?

giant22000

Reaction score
City, State
Beaumont, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer Sport
My wife and I bought a 2013 Explorer Sport in February and it was a complete impulse buy. We shouldn't have bought the vehicle and no longer wish to have the $600 a month note that comes along with it as this is our 4th vehicle in our stable. KBB, NADA and Edmund's do not place values on these as they are too new. I do realize I'm probably going to lose my ass on this, but can yall help me on a starting place on what to ask for our explorer sport?

The basics are:
Equipment group 400a
Voice activated
BLISS
Power lift gate
OEM towing package
White exterior
Charcoal leather with sienna inserts.

2700 miles.

Thanks for any help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would see what the Ford dealer would buy it back for (basically a trade in on nothing). Then ad about $5000 to their price and post it for sale by owner on Craigslist.

Go by Carmax and they will give you a cash offer good for 7 days...
I've sold to them just to get out of a car...

Unfortunately, you are competing against the new car that they are selling... you have a rough road ahead !

If you don't lose a minimum of $10k I would be stunned...

What would YOU expect to pay for it ?
(and you know the car's history-think about those of us that DON'T know the history)

good luck !

Go by Carmax and they will give you a cash offer good for 7 days...
I've sold to them just to get out of a car...

Unfortunately, you are competing against the new car that they are selling... you have a rough road ahead !

If you don't lose a minimum of $10k I would be stunned...

What would YOU expect to pay for it ?
(and you know the car's history-think about those of us that DON'T know the history)

good luck !

I agree with this.

Hopefully you got a spankin deal when you bought it.

I'm no expert, although I've had 14 new vehicles in the past 3 years and use to sell Fords, I'd expect you would sell it for about $9-13k less than what msrp is.

Do NOT go to carmax to sell a used car, they are nonnegotiable and they give you less than a dealer would for a trade in. Their prices are downright insulting.

Case in point: Friends father bought a new 05 Mustang GT when they came out, in Legend Lime (low number color). Ended up having another kid on the way within a year so he took it to carmax. They offered him 12k with next to no miles on it.

Sticker on the explorer was $46k and we bought it for $40,250. I put $12k down.

Generally 15-20% of MSRP. It is used and why buy used if you can buy new for a couple thousand more.

If you paid $40 for it.. I'd say a fair price would be $35-36,000 with the low miles being what it stickered for.

My wife and I bought a 2013 Explorer Sport in February and it was a complete impulse buy. We shouldn't have bought the vehicle and no longer wish to have the $600 a month note that comes along with it as this is our 4th vehicle in our stable. KBB, NADA and Edmund's do not place values on these as they are too new. I do realize I'm probably going to lose my ass on this, but can yall help me on a starting place on what to ask for our explorer sport?

The basics are:
Equipment group 400a
Voice activated
BLISS
Power lift gate
OEM towing package
White exterior
Charcoal leather with sienna inserts.

2700 miles.

Thanks for any help.
I checked autotrader.com and there are several 2013 Sports for sale on there. I didn't go through all the pages but from the few I did I found that those went from $40,501 (935 miles) to a high of $46,977 (2357 miles). There were 4 others with in between prices and mileage. These were dealer sales.
The search produced 3778 used 2013 Explorers in the USA.

Peter

Total guess here based of what I'm paying for a new one, but i'd expect somewhere between 32,000 - 36,000

Do NOT go to carmax to sell a used car, they are nonnegotiable and they give you less than a dealer would for a trade in. Their prices are downright insulting.

Case in point: Friends father bought a new 05 Mustang GT when they came out, in Legend Lime (low number color). Ended up having another kid on the way within a year so he took it to carmax. They offered him 12k with next to no miles on it.

exactly, there is a reason they are able to sell cars for less then some dealers. they buy at wholesale and sell at wholesale. its not a bad idea to buy a car from them if its in good condition, but selling one to them or trading in a car to them is not that good of an idea.

Back