• Register Today It's free!

What shocks should I use?

hardywo

Reaction score
City, State
Washington, DC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT Stick
Mods so far: longer torsion bolts, additional leafs from an 80s F150, shackles, 3" BL, and 31s. (I have since removed the SOA) Right now the ride sits fairly even (only sagging slightly to the drivers side cuz I need a somewhat longer torsion bolt), and I have "cheated" with the shocks. The front have washers under the metal cup under the shock tower, and the rear shocks are mounted to the top of the sway bar mounts.
2534702_11_full.jpg

I'm sick of the horrible ride even on pavement and I want to finally do this the right way, so what shocks do you guys recommend? Also what's the best way to measure what length I'll need? Cheaper would be nicer... ;)

Use the search, there's a ton of info about shocks in the forums.

I just installed Rancho RS5000s and it's like having a new explorer. They were a good deal I got all 4 for about 150 bucks just gotta check around online.

When you order them they ask you for your ride height, I'm not sure how to measure it, mine were just stock ride height.

I'm not sure if I saw it on here or some other site, but if anyone knows where the guide to measuring shock length is, please let me know...

Back