What size components will fit a 94? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What size components will fit a 94?

94Matt

Reaction score
City, State
Thompson's Stn, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Mounty 4.6 AWD
I am thinking of going with a set of Components and do not want to buy a kick panel for the woofer(?). I know whereto mount the tweeter. What size, if any, will fit in the stock door location?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Recommended easy fit is 5.25.
Up to 6.25's should fit no problem, some 6.5's should fit. For 4 doors, this is no big deal. For sports, the 6.5s don't fit to well unless you really cram them in there for the rear. This is due to that little grill, because after add in the adapter/spacer, it adds more height, to the speaker. Furthermore, I had to cut the inside of the grill to make it fit. It's totally unnoticable, and easy, but the 6.5 is so tight, that you can't get the grill back in under the panel. So I had to cut out the area on the griell that the speaker blocks. The largest size you can purchase, the better.

Your tweeters will depend, but flush mounts take up a lot more space than you might realize. For example, if you have a 1" tweeter, assume that you'll need at least 1.75" of flat space to mount it (1" for the tweeter + 0.75". Furthermore, you often must have at least 1" to 2" of empty space to mount it. If you just surface mount them, the decisions of positioning are much easier.

thanks, My next question would be: is it possible to run a set of componets off my aftermarket hu. i belive is it 45w rms x 4, i may be wrong. I know it would be better to buy another amp, but a 4 ch will cost more than i want to spend.

did your component set come with a crossover? If it did you would only need a 2 ch. amp i believe. Im sure you could run it off hu. but it wouldnt sound great, but than what would your other door speakers run off? you can get rockford fosgate brand new amps off ebay $100 for 2 ch. and $200 for 4 ch. not to back breaking

I'd agree with Explorer94GV. My brother did the same thing, he put components in powered by his head unit. The sound was okay, but you could tell the components were power hungry and if he wanted to play at a high volume, the components wouldn't sound good because of the lack of power from the head unit. I wouldn't think that the head unit really puts out 45 watts RMS, though maybe some new stride in MOSFET technology makes it so, but usually, it's more like 15 watts at the most RMS. If 45 was the case then you'd have to wonder why amps weren't smaller that'd put out a similar amount of power. I WISH they came that small! :)

You can connect them for the time being, but you won't be experiencing the full potential of your components. Reason is that components react differently to different amounts of power. Developers usually design the components with a specific amount of power in mind for them.

If you want to get components and positively no amp, then look for components that have a high sensitivity, and a low RMS rating, as they'll be designed for lower powered applications. I'd recommend not trying to buy too high grade of components unless you get an amp, because their potential won't be realized. More than anything, if you can get the imaging right (or better) with the help of the tweeter, it'll be better than any expensive driver mispositioned.

Yea I think I will get a small 2 ch amp. In the rear I will just get some better 5x7's. I don't want an amp that is too big though, as I want to hide it in the rear pannel where I have my sub amp at. On ebay i saw a lot of crappy brands for low price. I was always told that you pay for what you get. I'll have to look around. thanks

Dead Link Removed

here you go a 120.2 fosgate brand new for $99 from a great ebay member. it is 60x2 but basically double that cause they rate there stuff low 120x2. my 100.2 is rated at 100x2 201 watts total on the birth sheet. there are plenty of good things on ebay you just have to know what you want. Also this thing is very small you would be able to fit it behind the cargo panel easily just make sure you get it some air back there.

Back