• Register Today It's free!

What the heck are torsion keys??

xrdr27

Reaction score
City, State
Austin,TX.
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 Explorer Sport
I called this shop here in Austin "Star Customs" To see how much it would cost to lower my 01 sport. They told me that it would probably need torsion keys to lower the front and they didnt know if there is a lowering kit for it. I told them that all it needs is blocks for the rear and that the front Torsion bars have a bolt that they need to loosen to lower the front. I could tell the guy was getting a little irrated with me cause I felt I knew more on how to lower the vehicle than he did. But what I wanted to know is what are torsion keys? I never heard of anyone using those on this forum to lower their Explorer. I would do it myself but I'm still recovering from a dislocated shoulder due to a wreck with my X. I just got it back last week and I'm trying to to get on track with modifying the explorer. Any input would help. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Tortion Key = Rachet. Sears makes a good one. ;)

I believe a tortion key is the same thing as a tortion bar adjuster. They are the things that the bars fit into in the back, and the part that is being adjusted by turning the bolt.

I've heard of torsion keys for Chevys, not for Fords though. They're just different torsion adjusters.

Everyone above has pretty much said it. I used to work at a Motorsport shop, and the Eibach kits that had "recommended" these $70 torsion keys I just totally rejected to sell to any customer, it was complete BS. Just use a rachet it you do it.

In the chevy world they swap out torsion keys(adjusters) because the stock ones don't have adjustability(or there isn't enough adjustability, not sure which it is).

Thank you very much for everyones help on my question.

draft said:
Everyone above has pretty much said it. I used to work at a Motorsport shop, and the Eibach kits that had "recommended" these $70 torsion keys I just totally rejected to sell to any customer, it was complete BS. Just use a rachet it you do it.

He's right, torsion keys my A@@, what a crock :rolleyes: all you need is ratchet set :yelexp:

Back