What to do? Opinions needed | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What to do? Opinions needed

lmatt

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 explorer 4dr EB
Hello, sorry if this is in the wrong forum. Just looking for some opinions here. I have a 1991 all stock Explorer. 250,000+miles on body, 125,000 on current motor, 35,000 on current re-built trans. Have never touched the front diff. Has had rear wheel bearing, front wheel bearing, front hubs, and the regular maint stuff for the motor replaced. Here's my problem. My girlfriend has been driving it, but she has had a company car. So, the explorer mainly sat alot. This was great. Now her company wants her to drive her own car because of expense. She has two options. 1) get a new car thru the company and can ONLY drive to for work, no going to the store or misc trips on her private time like they let her do now, or 2) they will pay for gas and maint on the explorer. Her job involves driving per day about 150-250 miles per day. Would this be a good idea to put the Explorer into this kind of service? Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ehh, probably not. The gas mileage sucks @ about 16mpg and with 125,000 on the engine it sounds like your asking for trouble on those trips.

I suggest your gf go for the new car, it will be more reliable for what she needs.

But just my 2cents

I agree with Q. With as many miles as you have on the Ex, it's bound to have more and more mechanical problems creep up. It would be great if her company paid for the repairs, but after a while, they'll get tired of the expense and make the company car mandatory anyway. Besides, numerous breakdowns would interfere with her performance on her job. Go with the company car option. IMHO.

The math;

IRS mileage = $.585/mile X Average miles driven per day~200 = $117/day

My X has been running at about $.25/mile for gas only / 200 = $40
Insurance estimated $1000/year/260 working days/200mile per day ~ $.02/mile
Net untaxed income = $77/day

If she drives that much, look at buying or leasing a fuel efficient car. The mileage reimbursement will more than pay for it.

I agree with Q. With as many miles as you have on the Ex, it's bound to have more and more mechanical problems creep up. It would be great if her company paid for the repairs, but after a while, they'll get tired of the expense and make the company car mandatory anyway. Besides, numerous breakdowns would interfere with her performance on her job. Go with the company car option. IMHO.

x2.. putting 150+ on a '91 is asking for trouble IMO... As the others have stated get a new vehicle with better mileage and reliability and she'll be fine.

Thanks everyone. I was thinking the same thing, but thought I might be over reacting. Always good to get some views outside the box.

You have got to be kidding. I have 138,000 on my 94, and I drive it 125 miles per day. A friend has 233,000 on his daily driver. Why not drive it??

You have 125,000 on current motor, it is fine. I would drive it till it drops!

Go with a newer more efficient car. Your gf will get the same mileage reimbursement regardless of what she is driving.

I have 207K on my original 91 engine. It's not so much the engine that may rack up the bills. It's likely to be everything else.

ABS Brakes system
A/C
Bushings and suspension
Body rust
Transmission

Each of these can run up to or more than $1000 in repairs at a time. Using the X as a daily driver to and from work and for leisure is one thing, but using it all day in the performance of your job...let the company provide a vehicle so that you can run IT into the ground.

Just my two cents.

But......if the company is paying the maintenance bills..................

Paying maintence on your 15+ year old truck? I highly doubt that, if lucky they will pay for oil changes and basic required maintence.

If the engine goes, they won't cover that

If they are willing, use the company car, use the X for the personal running around.

Back