Parting Out prior to C.A.R.S. turn in, What to keep? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Parting Out prior to C.A.R.S. turn in, What to keep?

ekrispin

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Eddie Bauer 4X4
So im turning in my Green Eddie Bauer 94 explorer 4X4. Im already taking my stereo out, and I thought about keeping my tires (they are almost new BFG's) and putting some crappy ones on before turn in. I though abut keeping the full size spare too.

My question is what other parts should I keep to re-sell? As I understand it, the car just has to drive onto the dealership, so all I need is a drivers seat and steering wheel and pedals everything else is game? So, I just need some help/insight from you more knowledgeable folks about what to remove before turn in?

Oh yea im buying a 2009 Escape XLT V6 4X4, it seams that since they mde the new explorers bigger, and the new escapes a bit bigger, my old explorer and new escape are just about the same size?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's true- I think the new Escape is about the same size as the old Ex. The new Ex is quite a bit bigger. This was a couple of winters ago. :)

DSCF2432.jpg

Other than (if you have any of these in your '94) the rear sub, mint armrest, cargo shade, sunroof shade, and foglight switch, I can't think of anything that would fetch much $ for you worth the hassle other than things you might want to snag like lightbulbs, etc.

Providing it's good, you could snatch the AC compressor, although you would have to put the shorter belt on.

If you know anyone with the same year X, I would keep the transfer case shift motor, the 4x4 switch, the 4x4 controll module, hubs, the IAC, DPFE sensor, rear hatch struts....
But, if you don't actually need the parts or know someone who does, you probably don't want all that crap cluttering up the garage.

Just posting because I was going to do the same with my second gen. Everything but the drivers seat, pedals, steering wheel.

Cars

The V6 Escape is eligible for the CARS credit? I didn't think the mpg was good enough. I thought the only Fords that were eligible were the small and midsize sedans.

Yes, the Escape is about the same size as the 2-door Explorer.

I wish that Ford had not made the Explorer bigger. I wonder what the next generation Ex will be like, probably a lifted Taurus X.

Bob

ekrispin,

IF you're turning in your '94 Explorer (under the Cars for Clunkers) and if you got stock mag wheels that looks like the "throwing star" style.

I need the center hub caps. So I don' have to look at my lug nuts exposed to the elements.

please contact me via e-mail: manzai96782@yahoo.com

I'll take the fronts (doughnut style covers) and the rear covers (looks like a plate). Let me know condition and a fair price. I figure they could all fit into a US Mail flate rate box.

Aloha, Mark

I was thinking of doing the same thing. They said all the vehicles are getting scrapped which makes it a little depressing. My Explorer still looks good.

Just saw that they recalculated the MPG. My 93 was rated at 15 last week, now it is 17. There are reports that people that have already purchased vehicles with this rebate have gotten calls from the dealer wanting their $4500 or the new car back.

I for one, as a person in the auto salvage industry, am very displeased with this Cash For Clunkers program.
Any vehicle traded in under this progam is ineligble for salvage of drive line components such as engines, transmissions, etc. Not only is it going to make it more difficult for those of us just scraping by to maintain our older vehicles, it is also going to drag down the salvage industry, and in my opinon eventually phase out the V8 engine as we know it.
This is the end of an era...

I for one, as a person in the auto salvage industry, am very displeased with this Cash For Clunkers program.
Any vehicle traded in under this progam is ineligble for salvage of drive line components such as engines, transmissions, etc. Not only is it going to make it more difficult for those of us just scraping by to maintain our older vehicles, it is also going to drag down the salvage industry, and in my opinon eventually phase out the V8 engine as we know it.
This is the end of an era...

x2. c.a.r.s. is a big load of carp. i don't like the concept, it is a big forced-waste program. (and putting an end to future classics) plus, why should i be paying part of somebody elses new car purchase (with my taxes)???

i will be keeping my '93 explorer, with 200k miles on it... its been very reliable and practical anyhow. and at 17mpg average, if i upgraded to say, a 34mpg car (double the milage) if the "upgrade" cost "only" 8 grand i'd have to drive it 136,000 miles (at $3/galon) before i broke even on fuel savings. (not that my line of work would allow a tiny car anyway, can you fit a ladder, tools, and supplies in a prius? no)

and dont even get me started on the carbon footprint of scrapping/rebuilding cars....

whats so much better about newer cars anyhow? are you that anxious to get back into monthly payments? i'd rather spend that money on wakeboarding, computers, playstations, 4 wheeling, taking vacations, going out for dinner, etc.. many better ways to spend your money than throwing it away towards a new car (when your old one is fine)

my old one is not fine. and they are thinking the money may have already been used up anyways.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32228179/ns/business-autos/

No, the program is over. but dont worry, they will just do another round of it. it will never end. our children/grandchildren wont know what classic cars are, they will only know "antique" cars (1985 and older)

just curious, what's wrong with it that makes it "not fine"?

No, not over yet. The official website says its still on. Dealers here say they will definitely take them through today. My repair list has the total at about $1750. That doesn't include stuff like the radio and speakers. Without the A/C it is pretty much unsellable here. The recent trade-in value when I looked put it at $150. I had to take it to a couple of places last year before someone finally passed it on the inspection. The explorer was a cheap vehicle to get me through college. It did its job. An Explorer is certainly not a classic.

No, not over yet. The official website says its still on. Dealers here say they will definitely take them through today. My repair list has the total at about $1750. That doesn't include stuff like the radio and speakers. Without the A/C it is pretty much unsellable here. The recent trade-in value when I looked put it at $150. I had to take it to a couple of places last year before someone finally passed it on the inspection. The explorer was a cheap vehicle to get me through college. It did its job. An Explorer is certainly not a classic.

Not a classic today, but in 20 years it likely will be. anyhow, yes with $1750 in repairs, you are definitely better off financing 10 times that in debt on a new pile. But, sounds like you hate your explorer anyway, i dont really understand why you're even on this forum (i thought only enthusiasts used forums?)

by the way, a/c systems are very simple and easy to fix. spend an hour or so reading up on them online. i did, and i've successfully fixed several AC systems. usually just replace the O rings, oil and charge the system and it works fine (a grand total cost of about $40) worst case scenario you have to replace the compressor. they are $30 at the JY here.. which would put your repair bill at $70.. but yes, might as well just buy a new car.

i suppose you have already done this by now, what did you get anyhow?

also curious, what are the $1750 in repairs that your old "clunker" needed, anyhow?

Man, cash for clunkers has got more tempers going then health care!!!

I'm not looking to flame or be flamed, but this seems to be the stock forums cash for clunkers thread so my .02 cents...

You can do a frame off restoration, buy a new engine and tranny, get the whole interior done, and a new paint job.....

All for about 1/2 of what a new car cost. (if it's a cheap car)

And you only need to do this 1x every 20 years (worst case)...

With having new cars....

You have to buy one every 5-10 years (if you dump them when they start causing problems)

I've seen some studies about how much cheaper it is to repair a paid off used car over buying a new car, and it would blow your mind how much you save. (Wish I could remember exactly)

If you get down to it, about 90% of any work you need to do to the average used car is less then $1000... and that's what, 2-3 monthly payments on a NEW car??? (average)

You could rebuild almost every wear part on a used car for what a new car cost you in just 1 year....

And the chances of having to rebuild every part of a car every year is pretty slim...

I own a 82, 93, and a 05 I was given. I'll never pay more then a year on a car again after I did the math. I'll just always make sure I have a spare car to drive while I work on the problem one! ;)

It pretty much comes down to people getting bored with their cars, and they just want new ones so they can have new play toys. That's fine, but lets call a spade a spade.

I have found once you have got some elbow grease, blood, and knuckle skin into a car, it's a lot harder to let it go. The study I read was for people who don't even know what a ratchet is. For those of us who wrench it's much, much cheaper.

Hasn't anyone watched the Youtube vids of the engines being seized? Isn't it making any of you absolutely sick? It's the destruction of perfectly good (well, you know) vehicles that can go to the po people or something better than just scrap!

What color is the inside? If it is blue pm me please.

what color is what?

and the youtube videos.. yes they make me completely sick. i saw an '01 superduty, an 02 volvo s80 turbo, an 01 excursion.. among a myriad of others. all in very nice condidiont wrecked.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not a classic today, but in 20 years it likely will be. anyhow, yes with $1750 in repairs, you are definitely better off financing 10 times that in debt on a new pile. But, sounds like you hate your explorer anyway, i dont really understand why you're even on this forum (i thought only enthusiasts used forums?) by the way, a/c systems are very simple and easy to fix. spend an hour or so reading up on them online. i did, and i've successfully fixed several AC systems. usually just replace the O rings, oil and charge the system and it works fine (a grand total cost of about $40) worst case scenario you have to replace the compressor. they are $30 at the JY here.. which would put your repair bill at $70.. but yes, might as well just buy a new car.

i suppose you have already done this by now, what did you get anyhow?

also curious, what are the $1750 in repairs that your old "clunker" needed, anyhow?
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
Exactly. What do people posting this crap about "clunking" there explorers expect? A big hug and a thank you? :rolleyes: It like walking into a room, and announcing to everyone, at the top of your lungs " Attention everybody, just want to let you know that I'll be stealing $3500-$4500 of your money, and destroying an easily repairable vehicle. It's ok though, nobody get upset, you should all be happy for me, 'cause I want a new car, and it makes more sense for you to help me pay for it, then for me to fix my current one.":rolleyes:

However, I do feel the need to correct you onthe a/c deal. Yes, sometimes you get lucky, and it just needs a charge, or even a compressor. However, if the compressor has gone bad, then you really need to flush the system, and change at least the receiver/dryer and orifice tube. It's not likely that most a/c problems will be fixed for $70. I would say $100-$250 is a more accurate estimate.
Man, cash for clunkers has got more tempers going then health care!!!

I'm not looking to flame or be flamed, but this seems to be the stock forums cash for clunkers thread so my .02 cents...

You can do a frame off restoration, buy a new engine and tranny, get the whole interior done, and a new paint job.....

All for about 1/2 of what a new car cost. (if it's a cheap car)

And you only need to do this 1x every 20 years (worst case)...

With having new cars....

You have to buy one every 5-10 years (if you dump them when they start causing problems)

I've seen some studies about how much cheaper it is to repair a paid off used car over buying a new car, and it would blow your mind how much you save. (Wish I could remember exactly)

If you get down to it, about 90% of any work you need to do to the average used car is less then $1000... and that's what, 2-3 monthly payments on a NEW car??? (average)

You could rebuild almost every wear part on a used car for what a new car cost you in just 1 year....

And the chances of having to rebuild every part of a car every year is pretty slim...

I own a 82, 93, and a 05 I was given. I'll never pay more then a year on a car again after I did the math. I'll just always make sure I have a spare car to drive while I work on the problem one! ;)

It pretty much comes down to people getting bored with their cars, and they just want new ones so they can have new play toys. That's fine, but lets call a spade a spade.

I have found once you have got some elbow grease, blood, and knuckle skin into a car, it's a lot harder to let it go. The study I read was for people who don't even know what a ratchet is. For those of us who wrench it's much, much cheaper.

AGREED, but hey why do that when you can take the easy way out, and use the government handout?:rolleyes: (note sarcasm!) Yeah, it;s fine if people want new cars, just because they do. Hell go for it, more used cars for the rest of us.....but not with this scam. If you can't afford a new car without a handout, then guess what? You wait until you can, like the rest of us. Personally, I don;t think I;d ever buy a new car anyway.(well, maybe the 2010 Camaro:D)

Hasn't anyone watched the Youtube vids of the engines being seized? Isn't it making any of you absolutely sick? It's the destruction of perfectly good (well, you know) vehicles that can go to the po people or something better than just scrap!

Yep. I'll bet that this definitely is going to put some small used car dealers out of business. They depend on a steady supply of trade-ins to buy wholesale form thier local new-car guys. Depending on how long it takes to get paid, some new car places could go under too, waiting for their checks from O'bummer
what color is what?

and the youtube videos.. yes they make me completely sick. i saw an '01 superduty, an 02 volvo s80 turbo, an 01 excursion.. among a myriad of others. all in very nice condidiont wrecked.

Yeah, absolutely unbelievable. Ok, I could kinda see the point if it was some sort of incentive for trading in a true broken down clunker. Perhaps it should have been, "must NOT run and drive" instead of that it does have to. or maybe that it needed over a certain, very high, dollar amount of repairs as assesed by at least 3 different repair shops, or something like that.I still would not have approved of the giving away of other people's money so people can buy new cars, but at least it would have been a bit more logical. After all, if it runs and drives into the dealership, in many cases it's still a good car, and the opposite of a clunker. Definitely shouldn;t have allowed such "young" vehicles either unless totally trashed. ie; nothing newer than say '95ish. By then most cars were made well enough that they should still be on the road now, and decent runners.

Anyway, at least the insanity is now over. What's left of the future classics are safe(r) for now.

Back