• Register Today It's free!

what transmission?

jcasey007

Reaction score
City, State
Stratford Upon Avon, Warwickshire
Year, Model & Trim Level
Jeep Commander 5.7L HEMI
Starting to plan a transmission rebuild for the Autumn so need to be very sure of what auto transmission I have, which set of codes from my rating plate under the bonnet refers to the autobox, and are there any more interesting info on here?

cheers

Jim

img00231201106051104.jpg

Code .................. Model
D (1997-2005) ..... A5LDE / 5R44/55E
D (1992-1996)...... M5OD-R1
J ....................... M5OD-R1
J (2002-2003)...... R1HD / M5OD-R4
M (2000-2001)..... Mazda M5D4
M (1997-1999) .... M5OD-R2
M (1992-1996) .... M5OD-R1
R (2002) ............. 5R55W
T (1992-1995) ..... A4LD
T (1996-2001) ...... 4R55E
U ....................... 4R70W
V ....................... 5R55S
X ....................... 6R60

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

which part is the unladen weight

Transmission parts

Have you seen this supplier
Wittrans

They have exploded photos etc

Good find Jan, I've downloaded the repair manual which is very good but all drawings. Also gives me an idea of different costs.

This is starting to raise more questions....

1. wondering where I can get the special tools from
  2. is there always things you should replace if doing an overhaul (not fault fixing)
  3. how do you know if wear is OK or should be replaced
  4. what is a sprag?

Good find Jan, I've downloaded the repair manual which is very good but all drawings. Also gives me an idea of different costs.

This is starting to raise more questions....

1. wondering where I can get the special tools from
  2. is there always things you should replace if doing an overhaul (not fault fixing)
  3. how do you know if wear is OK or should be replaced
  4. what is a sprag?

1 I guess pick tools and internal and external pullers and plastic/copper mallet would be all the special tools
2 All friction materials (clutches and bands), bushes and any srags that are worn. Upgrade the throttle body with available kits including new separator plate. Solenoids
3 does the manual not give specs for things like the drums? Cogs will have obvious wear if any
4 type of roller bearings usually caged i think.

Kev P and rich have both done a rebuild so both might be a better source of info than me coz i only did some reading on it when i thought i had bust my pump on mine. There is loads of good stuff in the tranny section if you got time to read it.

:exp:
not sure Im qualified as my rebuild didnt work ...but I think I just missed a couple of plates out ..but I got it all back together ;)

once its out .....

I would get some good interernal and exteral circlip pliers some of them clips are mo fo,s to get out and in :)

big tin to mix up/put all the parts in :D

the bearings in there are bad boys and should be ok ....

research the tourqe convertor (quite expensive) if u wanna change it as well ?

there are brass thrust washers on the back of the clutch packs you might need but u wont know till u look in there

the clutch packs and brake bands ,rubber seals and all should come with the rebuild kit ..

you might need the transfercase to gearbox gasket and new a trans filter depends on the kit

loads of fluid

time and patience :)

maybee buy a 2nd hand one and do that one :)

Thanks Both, yes I'm planning on getting a second one to work on as long as I can test drive it, would hate to do all the work and then find I had missed something :(

The transmission section is very good (there is a sticky on downloading the manuals for free) but after an hour searching I found many good partial rebuild posts dealing with specific issues but I could not find a post on 'doin an overhaul'. (please someone show me there is one with pictures)

The good news is the parts are no way as expensive as I thought, and cheap enough to replace parts 'just in case', I guess you can go over the top and replace too much.

I read the manual last night, and I'm amazed on how other PCM connected components can effect the transmission (i.e the TPS, ERG, MAF etc). once you get passed the software in the PCM it is all about good old mechanical stuff (oh and a shed load of sensors)

I think I will have to build a clean room in my garage before I start though :D

cheers

Jim

hi jim
i have the ATSG service manual here for the 5r55e i can lend it to you for the cost of postage. cheers chris

Thanks Chris, I managed to download it and I printed it at work today :)

thanks for the offer

jim

If you buy a second hand one to use whilst you rebuild yours or to rebuild then swap over make sure you get a 96/97 one as the later boxs have one less sensor IIRC

Back