What will I need for an 11ft paddle board | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What will I need for an 11ft paddle board

IslandFamily

Reaction score
City, State
California
Year, Model & Trim Level
'11 Sterling Gray Limited
So, while this is primarily my car, my husband is going to use it to carry his paddle board to and from the beach (he's been borrowing our neighbors truck for a year!!!!) We're getting the dealer installed roof racks but my question is what else will we need? Does anyone know?

I would of thought just some tie down's and a red rag to hang off the back of the board to stop the silly people who aren't paying attention to the road running into it. I have seen kayak holder's mounted on rack's but they may have too much curve for a malibu?

For the tie downs I would go with ratcheting straps. You will find them in Home Depot in the hardware aisle near the chains and rope, etc.

There will be single packs of the straps or 4 packs of the straps in a plastic holder. Get the 4 pack. They are MUCH cheaper and they still are rated for a couple of thousand pounds (the singles are rated closer to 6k lbs). They also will have rubber boots on the ratchets so nothing gets scratched. They look like this:
4%20pack%20Ratchet%20Straps(WEB).jpg

You might also think of going to the sporting goods store and getting the foam kayak blocks. This isn't a big rack or anything, just two foam blocks that are curved a little. You put them on the cross bars and then the board on top of it. Keeps things from scratching/sliding and provides some compression material for a tight tie down. They look like this:
RivSid_DeluxeFoam.jpg

Back