what would happen if you cut springs on a 4wd..? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

what would happen if you cut springs on a 4wd..?

first gen torsion bars?

i have a 92 4wd that i want to lower but everybody says i cant go lower than 2 inches but thats not enough so i was wondering if you can swap out a mustang 2 subframe to lose the TTB or the subframe from i think a 2nd gen? whichever one has torsion bars? i wanted to do a 5/6 drop or possibly bag it but im stuck and dont know what to do im 16 and the truck was givin to me. thanks for any help:)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Convert it to 2wd....and drop it. But it's WAY easier to start with a 2wd. It will cost you about 1,000-1,500 to drop it that much. Your x isn't even worth that much. DO NOT GET ME WRONG....I did the same 5/6 drop on my x a few years ago..but I am 2x your age and have job that pays pretty well. And I did all the work myself. I don't know your skill level, or how much you were planning on dropping into your x...but whatever you do KEEP YOUR STOCK PARTS. That way when you sell it, you can put it back to stock and then sell the aftermarket parts.

Ryan

By the way you don't have torsion bars. You have twin traction beams TTB.

How many threads are you going to start asking for the same answers? Like we all told you before. Sell your 4wd, get a 2wd. It will be cheaper, easier to work with and get better gas mileage.

i have a 92 4wd that i want to lower but everybody says i cant go lower than 2 inches but thats not enough so i was wondering if you can swap out a mustang 2 subframe to lose the TTB or the subframe from i think a 2nd gen?
Yes, but its not going to be cheap or easy, and your truck will be down for a long time. You cant just swap in a genII sub frame, they are full frames. it would have to be cut off and welded on. It would be easier to swap the whole frame.

whichever one has torsion bars?
The GenII has torsion bars.

i wanted to do a 5/6 drop or possibly bag it but im stuck and dont know what to do im 16 and the truck was givin to me. thanks for any help:)
Buy a 2wd.

How many threads are you going to start asking for the same answers?
2, So far.

By the way you don't have torsion bars. You have twin traction beams TTB.

i never said mine had torsion bars? i was referring to swapping out suspension to have torsion bars from a newer ex if possible?

How many threads are you going to start asking for the same answers? Like we all told you before. Sell your 4wd, get a 2wd. It will be cheaper, easier to work with and get better gas mileage.

as many as i want??.....

Yeah, that is the kind of winning attitude that will help you in the future when you have questions....

I'm going to educate you for a minute since you are obviously not the brightest kid. If any of your ideas were cheap or easy, there would be threads on it. Especially in the first gen section. Most people that own first gens own them for one of 3 reasons. They are durable and not complex, so they make a cheap platform to build a complicated and expensive rig on, it is a cheap toy, or, like you, they can't afford a better vehicle, so they are making do with what they've got. This is why we have told you to save your money for something better, or if you REALLY love your explorer and want something that rides low, you need to get rid of your 4wd for a 2wd and save your money for what is going to be a slightly less expensive, but still more than your explorer is worth, future of modifications.

Why lower a 1st gen? Throw some all terrains under it and hit the trails. It's a durable, offroad worthy vehicle. Why ruin that? Trade it for a 3rd gen and lower that, 2nd gens are some what offroad worthy and I don't think look good lowered so don't ruin them. BTW you have coil springs up front, find shorter springs and mount new shock mounts. As for the rear, new shock mounts and put blocks on it. Just know I'll hate you and probably punch you in the face if you ruin a first gen like that. :nono: esp a 4x4. Atleast get a 2 wheel drive x

as many as i want??.....

Threads merged. Please stay with one thread per topic in the future.

My advice would be this.

Enroll in a good welding -fabrication program (school) in your area. You will need it for the mods you want to perform.

Threads merged. Please stay with one thread per topic in the future.

My advice would be this.

Enroll in a good welding -fabrication program (school) in your area. You will need it for the mods you want to perform.

Ditto, Anything is possible with some ingenuity and some cash, now whether it makes complete sense is another thing.

These guys are right, it will cost much more than its worth to modify your Ex in those ways. However the junkyard can be a great source of parts. Get a 2wd front end complete or just order some drop beams and replace your front suspention completely. LMC offers them for the Ranger (same suspention) The factory beam mounts are a little different in height (4x4 to 2x4) but not too much and you will need 2x4 radius arms. You can sell the extra parts here on the forum and get some of your money back, plus your vehicle will safely do what it is supposed to do, that is - get you from A to B.

Just remember, A vehicle is a series of systems. When you modify one, that mod will affect all the others sometimes badly. Pre-engineered parts take most of the bad out along with the liability. If your cut spring fails out on the road and you kill someone in an accident - you own that liability and that can get really bad really fast.

Search the internet and this site for trucks you like. See what they did to get the result you're looking for. I know dropped trucks are not as popular on this site as lifted ones, and i personally don't care much for that look; but in the end its your truck and you can do with it what you like. I'm sure there are alot of people who would sneer at the thought of an electric Explorer. A project I hope to begin next summer.

Sorry about writing a book, i tried to keep it as short as possible.

thanks everyone for your help but now i cant find all the parts i need and the parts from the junkyard they do have would $250 so i might just do tires and a body lift and then in a few months im getting a mazda b2200 and i am going to lower that because i already know how to do that and what i need :)

Maybe sell the Explorer and put the funds toward the Mazda and do it very well? Just a thought. Two vehicles for different purposes is nice, too, though.

im not sure yet what i wanna do with the ex it was always between lowering or lifting it but my friend parted his mazda out so im getting all the air ride parts really cheap so i can bag mine when i get it

Back