whats difference between 77,78,79 dana44 front axles? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

whats difference between 77,78,79 dana44 front axles?

Alright, I know the '77 is shorter, but what other differences are there? I think the '79 radius arms and brackets are recommended because they drop down further than the '77 brackets, but are the '78 brackets similar to the 77 or the 79? I've heard that the disk brakes on a '79 are larger and stronger than the '77 ones. Is that true? If so, how do the '78's compare? I'm asking because I can possibly get a '78 f-150 dana 44 for $100 bucks. Good front axle w/brackets, steering, the right gearing and everything. I'm just not sure why people say to use the '79 bronco stuff. If I get this stuff, I'll have the axle housing shortened to the '77 length.
Please help!
--Bob

I dont think any changes you find are major. I know all the brakes are the same, spindles, ball-joints, etc. 76 and up all have disc. 78-79 IS the choice for radius arm brackets. The only differnce I can think of is 76 and 77+ have slightly different nuckles. I belive the mounting point for the steering is more towards the wheel, making a tie-rod over conversion a little more complicated... I was also told, while none truely "flat-top" nuckles, only the 77 and older were machinable to accept aftermarket hy-steer arms, HOWEVER the 79 nuckles I have look like they could totally be machined. .. It may take me a while to get there though! But I dont know, maybe I'm all wet on this :)

Biggest drawback to the 78-79 D44 axles is the fact that the cast "ear" on the axle that accepts the c-bushing and radius arm is NOT removeable. So you are stuck with it where it is at.

yup I forgot about that. No way to correct castor.

Back