Whats involved in making your own intake? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Whats involved in making your own intake?

DROPZONE

Reaction score
City, State
Methuen
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Mecury Mountaineer
Hey guys, I was just wondering if you could help me... I have a new K&N Cone filter. I have the 3.5" aluminum tubing cut. I have the hole saw kit including gromets for the IAT sensor, along with all of the clamps. My question is when looking at the factory intake set up on the mounty I noticed that by the filter section of the black plastic housing either the mass air flow sensor or the air temp sensor (whichever im not sure) is kinda hardwired through a rubber gromet.. How can I work with this to install the intake im making.. Do I need to drill the hole for it and somehow find a way to install it or purchase and adapter.. Just sucks I was doing so well with everything until I got here and now im stumped..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well I found that I either need to find a way include the entire mass air flow assembly into my new intake design or find an aftermarket mass air flow sensor of some sort to incomportate that.. Any ideas or suggestions???

Hmm maybe if I take a pic of what I got and then a pic of the mass air flow sensor on the 5.0 Mounty engine that will help? Let me know guys

You should be able to incorporate it into the new intake. Take a look at pics of the kits, and what other people have made. People have made intakes using parts from auto parts stores. The brand is Spectre that makes all the loose pieces for custom intakes. You could most likely pick up any adapters, couplings, or other parts there.

I have one l shaped pipe which is 3.5" diameter and then I have a slightly bent/almost straight pipe which about 2.5" diamter (roughly)... I am figuring the best route to take will be using the 3.5" pipe from throttle body to mass air flow sensor and then use the 2.5" pipe from mass air flow to cone filter and put my IAT sensor in.. I gotta take some pics lol! Make it so much easier for you guys!

I've always just used the 10.00 mass air flow sensor tube from AuN stozone. You can buy that, cone, and tube for around 50.00. It always seemed to work as well for me as buying a whole K&N intake as I've done before. I would prefer one but for the sake of saving money, this is what I've done on my last two vehicles. I actually took the time to buy half of what I needed, then go back and buy the other half, so that I could build up reward points faster.

Tomorrow im heading down to Autozone to look for this $10.00 mass air flow sensor tube.. Thanks so much man! I truly appreciate your help!

Please post what you come up with, or a guide, as I would be interested in doing something similar to this with my mounty.

Tomorrow im heading down to Autozone to look for this $10.00 mass air flow sensor tube.. Thanks so much man! I truly appreciate your help!

Glad I could help. It could have been 15.00 but I'm pretty sure it was 10.00 I actually fumbled around with mine a bit before figuring out how to install the MAF, though it's pretty easy really.

Sam, if you're wanting to do one on the cheap, you can simply buy a cone at Autozone along with the small- 3 inch I think- elbow, MAF adapter and attachment clamp for around 50.00-60.00. The parts aren't quality parts like K&N but as far as I can tell the results are the same, unless you plan on having it in 10 plus years in which case I'd want the highest possible quality parts. I'd attach it all first and take out the entire original housing for the extra space as the fit could end up being a bit tight. I'm may try to myself see if I can bend some thin sheet metal on a brake at an old factory I worked at at one time and know the owner of to house it, which they have different colors on hand. I'm pretty experienced with working with metals but I'm thinking it may still take a few tries to make it look good since it's for appearance and all measurements will need to be perfect to attach properly. I'm hoping the heat resistant installation, which they have various kinds of, can be used behind it in some way. If the same parts can keep heat from escaping a stove, there's a chance it may work?

I'm not really worried about the cheap, but I have not found a K&N setup for a 5.0. Seems like the kts that I have seen are for the v6's. I just started looking though.

Thanks for the link. Does it matter that they say up to 97? I have found them for 97's before, but never a 98.

Well I just did a search and I found the same thing you did very wierd, because I thought up to 2001 was the same for the 5.0.. Hmm I would call the dealer and ask

Yeah it's weird, i can find 91-97 and 99-2001, but 98 5.0 is impossible to find.

Back