What's my front driveshaft length !!!??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What's my front driveshaft length !!!???

stilbo

Reaction score
City, State
Bloomington, Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 XL Base
:eek:
A local shop replaced my front driveshaft on my '96 LTD w/Control Trac w/4.0 and auto. The thing started vibrating almost immediately. I took it back after 500 miles and the local shop pulled my front driveshaft and I've been driving 85 miles a day and the X is as smooth as a new Lexus. The shop apparently has a machine shop that does shaft balancing for them. This shop sent the shaft back today and said that it is too far out of balance to try to balance. The small bearing in the end was shot and the yoke is seized on the shaft splines. The shop manager said that the parts guys told him that there was only ONE length shaft but I have checked three suppliers and they come up with TWO lengths. I'm getting the feeling that the shop may have put a shaft in that was too long and it jammed the splines at the end of their travel and seized them and wore out the small pilot bearing. I'm going to run this past the shop Monday. My biggest problem now is that the shop tossed the original shaft so I don't know what it's length is...
Anybody know exactly how to determine what length shaft I need?
Is it as simple as just measuring the gap from transfer case flange to axle flange?
I't ain't snowin yet but "id like to get this sorted out asap!

Thanks!

Front Drive Shaft Sizes.

WP_000583.jpg

file:///C:/Users/Garritt/Pictures/From%20Samsung-G-$1/Camera%20roll/WP_000581.jpg
I know the images are difficult to read, but I used those janky stick / box to show your where the shaft actually begins and ends, also you notice the black one is a bit longer with the shaft ending at the u-joint on the AWD one.
Hey I'm pretty new to the site and forums, but I recently purchased an 01 Ford Explorer AWD and was having trouble with my car shaking so I changed out the Front Shaft. Just wanted to post some pictures of the AWD Driveshaft and the 4WD Driveshaft. Yes, there is a difference, the 4WD is bigger and it's very little about, 1 and 1/2 inches, and if you use the wrong shaft your going to notice more vibrations.
Hope this helps everyone wondering about their drive shaft size as well.

Back