Front Driveshaft ?'s for a 98 5.0 | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front Driveshaft ?'s for a 98 5.0

The V6 explorers use the longer front shaft, and the V8's use the shorter shaft. I had my V6 front shaft shortened about an inch to work with my V8 AWD transfer case.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The V8's used both a short and long shaft.

Hmm, interesting to know. I wonder if this has anything to do with the engine mount locations being adjusted. I think Bob mentioned this because he had to make some changes to the TM headers since they were hitting the firewall and AC box on later 2nd gens. If the engine position changed, then so did the t-case position relative to the front axle housing. Hmm, interesting..........

I think the change happened mid 98 along with a host of other changes like different mufflers.

I learned about the varying 302 mounting locations from Jon. It does affects fan clearance, etc, and it could help or hurt header clearance.

Ok, so does this mean that there are three different front driveshaft lengths available? Two for the V8 and one for the V6?

There are more than 3. There were 3 for 1997-1998. 95-96 were different, as were 99-01.

I'd just say a few, mainly because Ford made so many running changes through the years. Most of it is because of different transfer cases and the front output differences. Ford has been doing this forever, changing things constantly.

The V6 explorers use the longer front shaft, and the V8's use the shorter shaft. I had my V6 front shaft shortened about an inch to work with my V8 AWD transfer case.

thats what I had done when I had the wrong one shipped :rolleyes:

Back