• Register Today It's free!

What's new in 2018 Explorers?

Halford1

Reaction score
City, State
California
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Ford Explorer XLT
I wanted to know what Ford has done in upgrading, or improving Explorer 2018?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Order guide is not out so nothing at the moment.

I wanted to know what Ford has done in upgrading, or improving Explorer 2018?
FYI, the 2017 Order Guide wasn't posted here until March 28th 2016.

Peter

For what i have heard its new colors, running board late this year or for the 18my rumors is the 2019-2020 is the redesign year, but blwnsmoke will know more...

Explorer is going to the CD6 platform so yes, it should be MY2020 which means Spring/Summer 2019.

I doubt we will see anything more then colors. I know the Edge was supposed to get heated windshield wipers for MY2017 and it was pulled last minute (within weeks of first build) so maybe we will see them launch on the Edge and Explorer for 18. The Escape already has the feature which I would LOVE to have.

I also believe that once the Explorer goes CD6, you will see the Lincoln version as well (Aviator). The talks are the Lincoln will be the first on CD6 followed by Explorer. Once they go to the new platform, the taurus and flex go 'buh bye'

Explorer is going to the CD6 platform so yes, it should be MY2020 which means Spring/Summer 2019.

I doubt we will see anything more then colors. I know the Edge was supposed to get heated windshield wipers for MY2017 and it was pulled last minute (within weeks of first build) so maybe we will see them launch on the Edge and Explorer for 18. The Escape already has the feature which I would LOVE to have.

I also believe that once the Explorer goes CD6, you will see the Lincoln version as well (Aviator). The talks are the Lincoln will be the first on CD6 followed by Explorer. Once they go to the new platform, the taurus and flex go 'buh bye'

Will Ford still offer the Platinum after the redesign or are they going to water it down so that people buy the Aviator? I really hope they don't water down the Explorer to make the Lincoln version more appealing. I hope the redesign includes more HP and Torque, and self driving tech.

Will Ford still offer the Platinum after the redesign or are they going to water it down so that people buy the Aviator? I really hope they don't water down the Explorer to make the Lincoln version more appealing. I hope the redesign includes more HP and Torque, and self driving tech.

I don't see them getting rid of the Platinum. The upscale models are the money makers for Ford. The Lincoln version will have a Black Label which if you haven't checked one out, I'd recommend you doing it. The Black Label is VERY luxurious inside IMO and really demands $$$ for them. The Black Label to me will be the Platinum version of the Explorer.

No clue on any other details at the moment.

Blwnsmoke what is the CD6 platform ?

Blwnsmoke what is the CD6 platform ?

CD6 is the latest platform that vehicles will be built on. Currently the Explorer, fusion, taurus, flex, mkx, mkz and continental are all build on the CD4. The CD6 is going to be the latest and greatest platform for Ford. Rumors have it that it will have the ability for RWD, FWD and AWD all on the same platform. Ford will be using 2 platforms going forward as One Ford.

Just followed up with this and I need to correct a little error. Explorer is supposed to be the first vehicle on CD6 with a Lincoln variant to follow. After that others will change over to it including the mustang. If the mustang can be CD6 and RWD, seems maybe the Explorer will go back to that.

I'm very excited for the new bronco to come out too. :)

So I just heard that there is another Mid Cycle refresh for the explorer and it will be revealed at Chicago Auto show.

Quite a shock if true but the source I believe is reliable. Wonder if they will introduce the 9 speed and other power options.

http://www.autonews.com/article/201...gen-explorer-expected-to-grow-spy-photos-show

The next-generation Ford Explorer was caught during testing recently on public roads. The vehicle, due out possibly as early as summer 2018, appears to be growing in size.

The spy pictures show the crossover could make extensive use of aluminum for the doors, hood and tailgate. The flat body panels are a clue. Ford’s aluminum suppliers, Alcoa and Novelis, have been working on new blends of aluminum that won’t crack when stamped into shapes that have deep draws or curves. But they may not yet be ready for mass production.

Ford and other automakers are looking to remove weight and boost the fuel economy of crossovers and SUVs to meet a federally mandated 54.5 mpg fleet average fuel economy standard by 2025.

The next-gen Explorer appears to remain front-wheel drive, with optional all-wheel drive. It’s also a prime candidate for a new fuel-saving nine-speed automatic transmission, co-developed with General Motors.

The Explorer was last overhauled for the 2011 model year when it shed its truck-based mechanicals and adopted Ford’s front-wheel drive, unibody platform that underlies the Ford Taurus sedan and Flex crossover.

2018 will not be an all new, as stated, it will be MY2020 out in 2019.

http://www.autonews.com/article/201...gen-explorer-expected-to-grow-spy-photos-show

The next-generation Ford Explorer was caught during testing recently on public roads. The vehicle, due out possibly as early as summer 2018, appears to be growing in size.

The spy pictures show the crossover could make extensive use of aluminum for the doors, hood and tailgate. The flat body panels are a clue. Ford’s aluminum suppliers, Alcoa and Novelis, have been working on new blends of aluminum that won’t crack when stamped into shapes that have deep draws or curves. But they may not yet be ready for mass production.

Ford and other automakers are looking to remove weight and boost the fuel economy of crossovers and SUVs to meet a federally mandated 54.5 mpg fleet average fuel economy standard by 2025.

The next-gen Explorer appears to remain front-wheel drive, with optional all-wheel drive. It’s also a prime candidate for a new fuel-saving nine-speed automatic transmission, co-developed with General Motors.

The Explorer was last overhauled for the 2011 model year when it shed its truck-based mechanicals and adopted Ford’s front-wheel drive, unibody platform that underlies the Ford Taurus sedan and Flex crossover.
That article you quoted is clickbait. I suggest not going to it and removing it so those clickbait sites don't get traffic. You can tell the headlights are from the 2011 - 2015 model Explorers.

Also, they figured out already how to stamp aluminum well and that's why they have the aluminum hood, then moved onto other parts like fenders and even a full aluminum body on the F-150 and Superduties.

CD6 is the latest platform that vehicles will be built on. Currently the Explorer, fusion, taurus, flex, mkx, mkz and continental are all build on the CD4. The CD6 is going to be the latest and greatest platform for Ford. Rumors have it that it will have the ability for RWD, FWD and AWD all on the same platform. Ford will be using 2 platforms going forward as One Ford.

Just followed up with this and I need to correct a little error. Explorer is supposed to be the first vehicle on CD6 with a Lincoln variant to follow. After that others will change over to it including the mustang. If the mustang can be CD6 and RWD, seems maybe the Explorer will go back to that.

I'm very excited for the new bronco to come out too. :)

I am excited to hear that the new CD6 platform will be RWD capable! I am sure most Explorer owners would actually prefer RWD. The current limitation for the Explorer in terms of power and performance is due to the transverse engine placement. It's nearly impossible to cool the turbos on a transverse engine well and I'm sure that's a part of the limiting factor for the Explorer and Taurus' power.

That and the Dodge Durango manages to get 18 city and 25 mpg highway on their V6 RWD platform which is 1 more than the Explorer so the efficiency aspect of the FWD transverse engine design for the Explorer seems negligible since the EPA rating for the V6 is 17 city and 24 hwy.

Plus, I'd rather see a 10 speed than a 9 speed on the Explorer. 9 speed is for the FWD based transverse platforms due to packaging size and 10 speed is for the RWD platforms.

Now I know FWD handles better in the snow and all but that can easily be solved by an AWD system that sends most power to the front.

If I'd had to guess, I'm sure a lot of Explorer owners would prefer RWD. I know Ford has their little suggestion website but I wish I could gather a bunch of people to sign a petition to have the Explorer redesigned the way Explorer enthusiasts would like to see it evolve to.

While there no doubt is a group of "Explorer enthusiasts" that share your feelings as evidenced in this Forum, the reason the 5th generation came about and is selling so well is because the older model was no longer selling. The majority of buyers did not want it. Thus, to some degree, we have the reintroduction of the Bronco. As for limiting power, I don't think that 365 HP along with 350 ft lbs of torque is a limitation of power or performance. In a Mustang, maybe. That is plenty at the high end trim for this vehicle in my opinion. After all it is still an SUV type vehicle. The main reason I switched back to Ford after 10 years at Toyota was due to the fact that the Explorer went unibody.

Peter

I am excited to hear that the new CD6 platform will be RWD capable! I am sure most Explorer owners would actually prefer RWD. The current limitation for the Explorer in terms of power and performance is due to the transverse engine placement. It's nearly impossible to cool the turbos on a transverse engine well and I'm sure that's a part of the limiting factor for the Explorer and Taurus' power.

That and the Dodge Durango manages to get 18 city and 25 mpg highway on their V6 RWD platform which is 1 more than the Explorer so the efficiency aspect of the FWD transverse engine design for the Explorer seems negligible since the EPA rating for the V6 is 17 city and 24 hwy.

Plus, I'd rather see a 10 speed than a 9 speed on the Explorer. 9 speed is for the FWD based transverse platforms due to packaging size and 10 speed is for the RWD platforms.

Now I know FWD handles better in the snow and all but that can easily be solved by an AWD system that sends most power to the front.

If I'd had to guess, I'm sure a lot of Explorer owners would prefer RWD. I know Ford has their little suggestion website but I wish I could gather a bunch of people to sign a petition to have the Explorer redesigned the way Explorer enthusiasts would like to see it evolve to.

I personally do not prefer a RWD SUV, as that drivetrain would be reserved for a performance coupe or sedan.
Also, I definitely do not want a tranmission higher than 6 speed.
This is a family hauler and it is almost perfectly balanced for my needs.

I personally do not prefer a RWD SUV, as that drivetrain would be reserved for a performance coupe or sedan.

The Explorer, when redesigned will either go 9 speed if they stay FWD or 10 speed if going RWD. More gears because you can stick to the proper RPM ranges for maximum efficiency at different speeds, thus improving fuel economy and performance. This is the principle that CVTs work on the but they don't do CVTs since it doesn't transfer high amounts of torque well and it's not very sporty. The F-150 already has the 10 speed. I heard there were more overdrive gears as well which improves cruising efficiency at highway speeds.

The Explorer has a performance version which is the Sport and police versions which are the Police Interceptor Utility. The platform is heavily restricted in terms of ability due to the FWD designs. Moving back to RWD brings the Explorer back somewhat to its roots. I'm also sure that towing capacity would also increase as a result of returning to RWD.

There's also a high possibility that the new CD6 platform will introduce hybrid powertrains to the Explorer and even a fully electric version since Ford has been doing R&D on it for a while and stated they will produce electric vehicles. Hopefully the new CD6 chassis will be very lightweight because the one thing that sucks about the Explorer, Flex, and Taurus based on the D4 is the weight since it's just a modified outdated Volvo platform from the early 2000s.

More fuel economy, more power, and higher capability is what Ford usually goes towards, and I like that a lot. If they offered a fully electric Explorer, I'd take that in a heartbeat as well.

The Explorer, when redesigned will either go 9 speed if they stay FWD or 10 speed if going RWD. More gears because you can stick to the proper RPM ranges for maximum efficiency at different speeds, thus improving fuel economy and performance. This is the principle that CVTs work on the but they don't do CVTs since it doesn't transfer high amounts of torque well and it's not very sporty. The F-150 already has the 10 speed. I heard there were more overdrive gears as well which improves cruising efficiency at highway speeds.

The Explorer has a performance version which is the Sport and police versions which are the Police Interceptor Utility. The platform is heavily restricted in terms of ability due to the FWD designs. Moving back to RWD brings the Explorer back somewhat to its roots. I'm also sure that towing capacity would also increase as a result of returning to RWD.

There's also a high possibility that the new CD6 platform will introduce hybrid powertrains to the Explorer and even a fully electric version since Ford has been doing R&D on it for a while and stated they will produce electric vehicles. Hopefully the new CD6 chassis will be very lightweight because the one thing that sucks about the Explorer, Flex, and Taurus based on the CD4 is the weight since it's just a modified outdated Volvo platform from the early 2000s.

More fuel economy, more power, and higher capability is what Ford usually goes towards, and I like that a lot. If they offered a fully electric Explorer, I'd take that in a heartbeat as well.

"More fuel economy, more power, and higher capability is what Ford usually goes towards"...but not realistic on ICE vehicles and this is where I agree with you going full electric.

They already have an escape all electric coming around 2020 with 300+ mile range. Give me an Edge with 250 or Explorer with 200 and I'd be very happy.

Now that Ford has really nailed the Ecoboost and engines with DI and now Dual injectors per cylinder, they could go back to RWD and still gain.

The older generation explorers did not have efficient engine options. Times have changed over the past 7 years.. with the SD scoring 5 stars in all crash tests with its all aluminum body, there is no reason they can't do an aluminum Explorer. Heck I remember my brother in laws 02 Eddie BAUER which was full time AWD. Yes my 2011 rides a lot nicer BUT even suspension has changed to dial in comfort on a RWD vehicle.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As a digression, I really stomped on it coming off the line at a traffic light this morning with misty wet roads. As the turbos really came in, I got front wheelspin at 25-30mph. The traction control and power apportioning worked beautifully, no torque steer and drama free. I was very impressed.

Back