Whats the difference b/t Intakes

RoadEnforcer

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Philadelphia, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport
Whats is the difference between cold air intake and air intake? Which one is better?
Out of the better one who makes the best?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

im in the market for intake so i need some opinions from my fellow x-ers

A cold air intake is better. Cold air is more dense than warm air, and therefore creates more power during combustion.

Robb

what would be the best cold air intake

there are none for the explorer.

Originally posted by leenjen
there are none for the explorer.

yes there are..... this uses the factory cold set up... Dead Link Removed

but that's not like a true CAI with an open filter. that's just a stock setup with a 3" chrome pipe. the airbox is still the most restrictive part.

a CAI extends down behind or under the bumper of a vehicle. check out www.hotshot.com to see the intakes for the ford probe.

the airbox itself is not that resrictive of a part.... i broke my K&N due to too much are getting sucked through it......

no ifab does make a WHOLE intake system for the explorer including cone filter..... therefore not using the stock airbox. and the explorer air intake ystem is very restrictive..... round to flat ridged tubbing.... a 3" pipe will make a noticable differance. definatly with a cone filter and that system will work with the KKM some of you allready have.

Hey anyone from PA wanna make me a custom Cold Air intake? I'll pay you :)

i would if i could.
lizardtrac was going to do it last year, but i guess he had better things to do (SAS).

i would like a CAI for my explorer. it really helps over the leaner warm air. i noticed a huge difference in my 626.

Lizard was gonna do one for you last year? Maybe i will pay him to do mine :) !

leenjen, what brand CAI do you have in your 626? my mom has a 96 626 and i want to put in a new intake, i just havent found much for it.

i have the DOHC V-6 engine and 4 speed auto transmission.

if she has the v6 w/manual trans : Dead Link Removed

if she has V6 with auto: Dead Link Removed

i dont know about the 4 cyl models. maybe PRM makes one.

Originally posted by RoadEnforcer
Lizard was gonna do one for you last year? Maybe i will pay him to do mine :) !

not for me, but he posted a thread about it. and asked how many people wanted one. i think it's in one of the polls forums. try a search.

yeah i talked to him, thanks!

Back