whats the stupidest thing you did to your exploder | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

whats the stupidest thing you did to your exploder

slow-demon

Reaction score
City, State
Hawaii
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 xl sport
Mine was trying to spin the tires with 36" tires. I blew the rear end up. The center diferential locker was totally in pieces, the ring and pinion had grooves from all the pieces of metal from the differential. I must say I was amazed at how stronp the "Precsion Gear " ring and pinion gear was. None of the teeth was broken (5:13). I still had to change the ring and pinion because of the grooves. The next day I replaced the ring and pinion with a 4:10 set that I happen to have just so I could drive it temporarily till I order 5:13's. I also repalced the differential track lock assy with a used one that a friend had. Had it back and ready to go by noon. Tried to move the truck but the truck would just freewheel. I had a manual trans so I though maybe the clutch went out, but , since I could hear the gears moving in the trans I though something else. I dropped the transfer case. The t-case almost dropped out because the transmission ouput shaft was snapped. Ouch!! Me an my friend took my trans apart and took another identical trans apart that he had. The doner trans had some broken tooth on some gears, but the output shaft was all good. We put my trans back together with the used output shaft and installed it back into the explorer. Had it running at about 5 in the afternoon the same day. Three weeks later later installed new 5:13 gears in the rear so I could engage 4 wd again. Lesson learned........

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Was driving pretty fast offroad and took this ditch at a high speed. Got some air and now my tires have negative camber. It looked so ugly. Got it aligned and put the camber adjustment kit but it still has alteast a 1 degree negative camber. Don't know what happened everything seems not bent. Now my car looks like it is a lowered car / \ but not lowered. if you know what i mean.

Mine would be laying the X over on its side...........about 4 feet from a 500ft drop off into the Snake River. Alot of you have seen the pic but I'll show it again cause I think its a cool pic and I can.:p

Attachments

• rolledit.jpg
    rolledit.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 340

nope, i havent seen that pic..or heard the story, so feel free to tell it again! ;) i mean....WOW, thats cutting it reallllllllll close

Man I thought that crap only happened in movies...What in the world were you doing?

Thats unreal!! I'd like to hear the story. Is it in a thread somewhere?

Ok you guys are to new for it so I'll re-tell it.;)
Hopefully I don't get flamed for it again like I did last time.

Ok here it is. Its March 11, 2001. Its a nice warm sunday afternoon when I was out cruising with my best friend in Twin Falls. We get bored with that so we decide to go do some moderate wheelin across the river. We go out there Bajain' and climbin some rock hills and stuff. We get bored with that so we decide to go drive over by the rim to see how high the river was running. As lazy as a couple of 20 year olds I drive up to the rim instead of getting out and walking. We check out the river and decide to call it a day and go home. I look directly in front of me and I see this perfect line to shoot across the desert and get to the main road. I'm in 4low so I'm only doin maybe 4 mph I check my line and proceed to drive forward and looking at the river and then BAM!!! My truck begins to tip and I look over seeing the river getting closer and closer. And it finally goes over resting as you see it there. We climb out to find a 3-4 foot hole in the ground, just big enough for the front clip of the truck to fall in.

To this day everytime I go out there, I look from where I decided my line and started driving you can not see that whole until its too late. This just falls under the catagory of "Tread Lightly" even if this area is an OHV park and we make our own trails all the time out there. Make sure you know whats in front of you. Especially when theres a 500 foot drop of right next to you.

Attachments

• rolledit#2.jpg
    rolledit#2.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 267

i was cruisin' around tempe one night and a guy in a 328 bimmer was f'ing with me, so i tried to race him, my truck did an alright job of keeping up (because of its better hook up traction) but then at about 55 at the top end of second i stuck two fuel injectors filling everything downstream with fuel, which pretty much ruined every component of my exhaust. (i guess the excess fuel was probably burning when it got the the cats) anyways it cost a crap load to get it fixed, but i did got an extra 60 hp out of it, 'cause it was an excuse to do some extra mods.

i decided to go mudding in a 2wd with open differential. then, decided to let 2 strangers to drag me deeper into the muds. lesson? dont talk to strangers cause they will cost u at least 600 bucks to clean up the mess the leave behind

Bought it...

:D

About two and a half years ago here in Ann Arbor, it had been raining and I was following a friend of mine who was driving pretty fast. Took off from a light and into a sweeping left-hand curve a little too quickly and ended up skidding into the curb. When I nailed the curb, the back end swung out and the car in the next lane nailed the left quarter panel and rear door. Two new rims, new quarter panel and door, paint, steering components and gearbox. Right around $3000 worth of damage. :eek: That was the only accident that was ever my fault, and I sure learned an important lesson about driving too fast for conditions.

peace

Mike

I was following a friend in his XJ through some huge mud holes and I hit one a little too fast and........boom bye bye engine. 6 months and 3000 bucks later it's good as new.

I plead the fifth.

Back