whats the widest tire i can fit? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

whats the widest tire i can fit?

juuuuust a little teaser......puttin em on tommorow..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

im definitely intrigued.. Make sure to post pictures when you're done!

little dirty and dont mind the crooked bumper, one of the nuts is loose...;)

clearance is about an inch to the upper control arm, no rubbing, they howl like a pack of wolves, and look BADASS! :D

Wow! Those look awesome!

Looks awesome. :thumbsup:

Time to change the signature.

That thing is looking good. It made a pretty big difference i'd say. I love the howl.

Hows the turning radius? Have to trim alot?

Hows the turning radius? Have to trim alot?

turning is normal no rub lock to lock... i did have to trim more than i had already with just the 33s and a body lift. so yes if you are putting these on a freshly lifted truck that has no trimming, you'll need to do some fairly extensive trimming to fit em, mainly because they are 14.50 wide! im sure a 12.50 would have had no problem. i trimmed for clearance when flexed, not for just crawling around the mall parking lots. :D if anyone ever has any questions about my setup feel free to post here, ill always respond... we NEED more explorers running around like this! lol i have only personally seen 1 other lifted 2nd gen in my area

I haven't seen the first lifted Explorer in my area, let alone a lifted Sport Trac. You need to get an Explorer4x4 decal for your truck so people may get interested in what you did to yours and end up here; then they'll catch the bug and you'll see more around.

Yea theres only one st running around my area with stuff done to it but not lifted. Also lots of stock tracs.

The only other modified ST in my area just has chrome crap all over it. Chrome trim on the doors, chrome ventshades, chrome flames around the Ford emblem, chrome door and tailgate handles, chrome bug deflector...pretty much all the junk from AutoZone's bling aisle. It's the dark blue color but extremely faded and uncared for. Squeaks with every movement. It's a sad case. I work with the owner unfortunately.

Did you install the superlift yourself? Was it difficult opposed to the 3" bodylift? Did you use the superlift recommended drive shaft? Just wondering if you're happy with that or would have rather went with sas/soa.

i havent ever even seen a lifted second gen ever untill my dad mentioned lifting my explorer and i gonna do exactly what you a 3"body and 4"superlift with the 35/14.5/15 nitto mud graplers and some other odds ends like brush gaurd and lights and some engine parts cause its only a 4.0 and some gearing work but i want it to look like yours and its blue just like yours

I had 33x14x15 boggers on my 98xlt and did major cutting in the front.came out to 14.55" including the huge knobs. But you can get wideass tires on there. Minimizes what you can do though. (Like steering)

If I run a 18x10 with some 33s with 4" back spacing I should be fine on my explorer correct???

As long as you are lifted.

You'd want at least 2" on the body, and 2" on the suspension, or 4" superlift, or 3" body lift to run a 33" tall tire.

From there, you should be good to up to a 12.5" wide tire without any major trimming.

I'm not sure where you will be sitting for backspacing unless you know how wide your tire is. I would think on a 10" wide wheel, with 4" of backspacing a 12.5" wide tire shouldn't rub with the right lift

anti-body lift. dont need body lift just take off usless plstic and metal

Did you install the superlift yourself? Was it difficult opposed to the 3" bodylift? Did you use the superlift recommended drive shaft? Just wondering if you're happy with that or would have rather went with sas/soa.

Just re-reading some of my threads and i never answered you! lol sorry, i installed both lifts but i would have to say the body lift was slightly more labor intensive. Only because i love doing suspension work maybe.....but i didnt go for the superlift shaft, it just seemed grossly overpriced. At the time i re-installed the stock cv shaft and it ripped the boot, slung all the grease out and was fixin to explode out the bottom after the first 5 mile test drive....so i ended up running a custom double cardan shaft (shortened and balanced) out of a 96' explorer with the NEAPCO adapter flange for the 4404 awd tc (still have it if anyone wants dibs);).....then i swapped the 4406 tc and now use the front shaft out of an 01 expedition?:scratch: or maybe f150.....lol i like the drivability it has with the ifs, the only reason i was eating up hubs for a bit there was due to the 8'' wheels with 1.5'' spacers :eek:... i havent had to replace a hub since i put these tires on...since shes not my daily anymore who knows, if i win the lottery or have some stupiddd money one day i may get crazy and throw a dana 60 under the front and a kenne bell 302.......

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Im running 33/12.50s and on this truck (new) i didnt want to make obvious trims, i was generous tho. So with that said i didnt put my 1.5" spacers on. I still rub and for some odd reason the one side rubs my upper balljoint! im running 15x8 4" bs

Back