• Register Today It's free!

whats the widest tire i can fit?

patrick112390

Reaction score
City, State
Alpharetta ga
Year, Model & Trim Level
97' mountaineer 5.0 4406
whats the widest tire i can fit? (with pics)

i am really leaning towards the 35x14.50x15 grappler but the only problem is it looks like it would be close to the knuckle when on the truck....the wheels are 15x10s with 4'' backspacing.
So my question is, whats the widest tire someone has gone with on that rim?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hmmm?

GSEBrent has 33x13.5 Mud Grapplers on his Sport Trac with 10" wide wheels and those are really pushing it. Those are the widest I've seen. I'm pretty sure our wheels wells are larger than yours as well. I can't say for sure it wouldn't work but that is really freakin' wide. You'd have some extra trimming to do for sure.

yea im not worried about the body that can be clearanced :hammer: but i am concerned with the space ill have to the knuckle.....ill snap a pic today and post it up

this is the clearance to the superlift knuckle with 33x12.50 mud rovers

think i could fit another inch of mud grappler on that side? lol?

If it clears it is good! You only need a tad of daylight there-the relationship of the knuckle to arm should stay solid, until a bearing or ball joint fails, that is.

If it clears it is good! You only need a tad of daylight there-the relationship of the knuckle to arm should stay solid, until a bearing or ball joint fails, that is.

yea and let me tell you, when i ran a 15x8 4 in bs rim and a 1.5'' wheel spacer i had 4 catastrophic hub failures months apart! since moving to a 10'' rim no problems...im just weary because of the side lugs on the grapplers and nowhere does it specify the actual "tread width". because say the mud rovers are a 12.50 section width but the tread width (the part that hits the road) is only 10''...the grapplers are spec'ed at a 14.57 width, and if thats "tread width" i could be wayyyy closer than expected...:eek:

Fresh pics with the 33x13.50x15s mud grapplers

IMG-20120212-00252.jpg

IMG-20120212-00253.jpg

IMG-20120212-00258.jpg

IMG-20120212-00254.jpg

IMG-20120212-00255.jpg

IMG-20120212-00256.jpg

IMG-20120212-00257.jpg

IMG-20120212-00259.jpg

If you have the 3" body lift and the 4" superlift i'd say go for the 35x14.50s. These aren't 15s but Mjenk430 has 36x15.50s check out these......

36x1550onstmjenk430.jpg

And heres my clearance, let me know if you need more pics.

IMG-20120212-00260.jpg

IMG-20120212-00261.jpg

Hope this helps. Also still have IFS and also have TT and shackles. And another thing to keep in mind is this....

IMG-20111209-00167.jpg

Grind down your caliper pad retainer or at least make sure your wheel weights are on the bead and not on the inside of the wheel. And your also gonna have to cut alot of metal back.

IMG-20111212-00178-1.jpg

IMG-20111212-00180-1-1.jpg

Still working on that part of it and still cant turn into a parking space at 90 degrees. Let me know if you need anything else. Hope it all works out and like i said check out discount tire direct, cheapest nitto prices and free shipping.

Also keep in mind that the actual width of the 33x13.50s are 13.94" so closer to 14" wide and the 35x14.50s are 14.57" wide so your not gaining too much width with the 35s just overall diameter.

thats exactly what i was lookin for! im on 3'' body 4'' superlift, aal on superlift springs, shackles and slight tt....we'll call this a before pic(before aal) (when i had 15x8s) but as soon as the tax refund comes in im going to stimulate the economy a bit on some 35x 14.50s and have the wheel spacers on standby in case lol :D

ill post back some pics when they are on!

Yea man i was gonna say keep the wheel spacers just in case. I'd love to go 35x14.50 next round of tires but like i said i just have the tt, shackles and 3" body lift. Looking forward to seeing those tires on the explorer. Here it is the way it sits now

yakimamw.jpg

Also keep in mind that a 10" wide wheel will make the tread width wider while the 8" is actually decreasing the tread width but making the tire taller.

Wheel spacers aren't recommended with 35s and IFS. You'll probably catch some crap from other board members if you make that choice.

BTW, the Mounty is going to look beast on 35s! Can't wait to see the pictures.

Also keep in mind that a 10" wide wheel will make the tread width wider while the 8" is actually decreasing the tread width but making the tire taller.

Wheel spacers aren't recommended with 35s and IFS. You'll probably catch some crap from other board members if you make that choice.

BTW, the Mounty is going to look beast on 35s! Can't wait to see the pictures.

No doubt the tires will go on the 10s, and if you read up I talk about how the spacers killed my hubs, but in case they wont fit the spacers will get me home from the shop....it will defiantly be cl
ose.....

Oh, I wasn't talking about how they fit the wheels. They'll definitely fit the wheel. Just mentioning that the wider wheels will make the tread width wider than with a more narrow wheel would. Still doesn't really make a difference if we don't really know which way it'll differ from the advertised width; just a general comment.

Yea I appreciate all feedback, I just said that because I still have the 8'' rims...

""no doubt the tires will go on the 10s, and if you read up I talk about how the spacers killed my hubs,""

lol, wait till you put them tires on, wide as having spacers ,, lol

""no doubt the tires will go on the 10s, and if you read up I talk about how the spacers killed my hubs,""

lol, wait till you put them tires on, wide as having spacers ,, lol

Yea, the tires will be more weight, but it will be more over the hub vs the whole wheel and tire outside it with insane leverage... I went through 2 sets of hubs in 6 months with the spacers on the 8'' s, after switching to the 10'' I haven't replaced a single one

I haven't replaced my hubs yet but planning on it along with lower ball joints and upper a arms. Also my 33s with the 15x10 wheel weigh about 120 lbs ea tire/wheel combo. But either way I say go for it, do the 35x14.50s. Just cut what you have to. Mjenks430 did those 36x15.50s with the 3" body lift and 4" superlift. I've been trying to get into contact with him on some advice but time will tell.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Haven't heard from him in a while. He was doing a solid axle swap and then just disappeared from the forum.

Back