• Register Today It's free!

whats up...4.10s or 4.56s

dirtyXplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Arizona and Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 XLT 4dr
I looked and couldnt find the answer so... I have a 93' X and am getting 35" tires. To get the best mpg and hp my dad thinks I need 4.10's yet ive always seen 4.56 with 35"s. Which ones best?....

Also is there any thing i should know about the stock d35 in front, ive heard you need reversed gears? if so where can i get some. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yes, you need reverse rotation gears for a d35 3rd member

Any other thing to know... get rid of it :D

From what ive been told 4.56 all the way.

For the IFS would I need reverse cut gears

Tim

91-94 explorers = reverse cut gears

95-04? explorers = standard

so nobody thinks 4.10's????

dirtyXplorer said:
so nobody thinks 4.10's????

Nope. Too much strain on that tranny unless it is a street only vehicle. If you had a 5.0 I might consider it.

Look at it this way if your vehicle was equipped from the factory with a 3.73 gear set and stock size tires, with 33" tires the equivelant gear ratio needed would be about a 4.33. That gear is not made so I went with a 4.56 on 33's. This in turn lowered my gear ratio to the equivelant of a hair deeper than factory 4.10 with stock tires.

4.56 with 35's would be equal to a 3.73 and stock tires.

Make Snese?

4.30 are made for the 8.8 but not the 35

haha i was right!!! thanks alot, 4.56's are what i want any more comments or info i should know?

I'm running 4.10s in my 92 with 33s and often wish I had 4.56s.

With 35s be prepared to go big or stay on the road.

You'll need a set of gears and an install kit for front and rear axles. What are you running for traction? Limited slip, locker, open?

Depending on your use, the L/S can work out well out back -- it does not have maximum traction of a full locker, but you also get to drive in and out of the trail on the same axle shafts... :rolleyes: I set up mine tight, with extra shims and a strong spring. They "scratch" going around corners and pull as well as a L/S unit can.

Up front, we've been playing with the Torsen differential. They work really well for something that you would like with max traction, yet be able to steer. Just tap a brake to fully engage and pull both wheels.

Mileage wise -- once going to 35" tires, who cares. If you want mileage, get a ricer... You have an off-road vehicle, with capabilities that mileage-making vehicles don't have. If maximum mileage out of your rig is the foremost thought -- leave it stock, lower it 2", run Amsoil in everything that holds oil, do a proper tune up, add a cold air intake, strip the roof rack or anything that hangs off the vehicle, run solid disk hubcaps, and you should be solidly into the 28 mpg range. Lifted with 35s and 4.56s, you are likely looking at about 15 max, and that is if you keep your foot out of it...

In not planning anything for now (lack of cash). How much is the "Torsen differential"?

dirtyXplorer said:
In not planning anything for now (lack of cash). How much is the "Torsen differential"?

You can find either the Zexel Torsen or the Detroit Tru-Trac (both are similar "gear" type limited slip units) at www.ReiderRacing.com or call Jeremy @ Louisville 4-Wheel Drive for current price. 1-502-935-5501

We're both running the Tru-Trac in our front diffs and they flat work.

Here's a pic of Jeremy in action last weekend... Note both front wheels spinning...

IMG_8361.jpg

Here's me (no locker in the front in THIS truck -- the Tru-Trac is in my Ranger SAS build -- but it is a cool pic, and I made it!):

IMG_8400.jpg

definately go 4.56. have 4.10 right now with 31's and might be iffy with 33's but will see and give better update

So the best for 35s would be 4:56 gears? I want to gear up because currently I am under geared with 32s and 3:73s

What is the best selectable locker for the explorer? Is there one for the IFS yet?

Tim

i have heard alot of good things about the aussi locker.

Back