• Register Today It's free!

4.10s vs 4.56s

Doug

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Sykesville, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
Ive got a 97 sport with a 5spd and 3.27 gears and i planning running 33s. Im wondering if its really worth it to run 4.56 gears over 4.10s. Ive heard that 4.56s are the way to go but im afraid that itll be to low for daily use. This truck is my daily driver and ill be running 31s on the road but offroad ill have the 33s.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm planning on running 32's with 4.56's. There are many advantages.
1.Better Acceleration
2.Better control offroad
3.Help with braking
4.Less strain on the tranny (doesn't apply to you)

I dunno about 31's though.....32's are pushing it.

I dont want my truck to top out at 60 mph. It would make the ride from NJ out to Paragon to go wheeling really long. :) Im sorta leaning towards 4.10s anything has got to be better than 3.27s. Ive heard of atleast one other person running 33s with 3.27s but i really think thats gonna put alot of strain on the driveline. I feel like my truck bogs down in low range offroad.

Yeah I think 4.10's would be best for you actually. Even if you went up to 33's all the time your power would still be decent.

I've got 4.56's with 32" tires. I think it rocks. Mine is a SOHC V6 with 5 speed auto. It sits on 2300 revs at 100km/h up from 1800 revs with the old 3.73 gears. To be honest, I haven't noticed much drop in fuel economy. I think the revs at freeway speed is counteracted by the lesser effort required to take off, thus levelling out fuel economy. I also must add, the car lauches off the line like a rocket and has very good engine breaking.

why not a 4.30 ratio. i see them in mag ads all the time. ide call randy's r & p with ??? they were extemely helpful wheni buying my spool. they were patient with my dumb ??

i have 33's with 3.73's and its not THAT bad, i did notice a decrease in acceleration but its liveable. If i get the extra money, i'll prolly go with the 4.10's

nop, i got the next best thing, lol j/k

i got some Mud Kings which are made by Michelin (actually their off brand company Cavalier) i got these temporarily so i can see what i have to cut to fit the 33's on with the 2" BL, after everything is good, i'll prolly end up with the BFG MT km's...but these mud kings only costed me $100 a piece from up here, and they are actually really nice tires.

I'm going to Indy Truck bash this weekend and i am bringing the camera, when i get back Monday, i'll have the pics uploaded and posted by next week, keep an eye out, i'll have pics of the truck and i'll try to get pics of the plastic tupperware where i cut. (i jsut picked up the 33's at lunch today)

Hey Doug, I did the calculations already for myself when I was deciding to go with some 4.10s with my 29s since I too have the 97 5 speed with 3.27s and here's what I got: (note your over drive on the manual is .79 : 1)

Tire size Gears Speed RPM
29 3.27 80 2402
29 4.10 80 3012
33 4.10 80 2638.3
33 4.56 80 2934.3
33 4.56 60 2200.7

So with 33s in 5th gear going 80 mph you'll only be pushing 2834 RPM, not too crazy now and doing 60 will only put you at 2200. Might as well go 4.56 since that allows you to at a later date (if you so choose) go with some 35s without regearing.

Matt, That doesnt looks to bad but i plan to run 31s on the road not 33s. I leaning towards the 4.10s which i think will make a big enough difference over the 3.27s but will still be geared high enough for me to run 31s on the road and not tach out at 60. On another note you going to paragon for the extremexplorers run?

hey i have 33's with 3.73's too, the accelleration is not bad at all (maybe cuz i have a v8) but i think for you i would definatly get the 4.10, 4.56 would be really low for 31's. 4.10 woould be your best choice i think.

Yeah, I'm going to try and make it out for the paragon run, even though my rig isn't that trailworthy. But hopefully I can be put to use as a spotter or something. The more often I go, the more I get the bug to buy a second 4x4 X.

Hy Buchvilleman, heres a pic for ya, i should have the rest later this week

223222_8_full.jpg

damn yom - that is tight!
love it man, love it man... i didnt have a good idea of the wheels looked like until now... those are sweet!

Buch, theres a clearer picture here thanks to Hartman, whom i met there in indy. Were still trying to DL the hundreds of pics we took, i'll let you know when i get more

Dead Link Removed

Originally posted by Namitey
Matt, That doesnt looks to bad but i plan to run 31s on the road not 33s. I leaning towards the 4.10s which i think will make a big enough difference over the 3.27s but will still be geared high enough for me to run 31s on the road and not tach out at 60. On another note you going to paragon for the extremexplorers run?

Your saw my truck this weekend, I have the 33"s on road with 4:56 and the 35's off...I would go with the 4:56,.

If you plan to run 31's on the street and 33's only when you are going wheeling, go with teh 4.10's.

If you plan to run 33's all the time go with the 4.56.

I chose the 4.10's because I still drive it daily and I tow a boat with the truck, so I have a set of 31" street tires and a set of 33" mudders.

He connaot use 4.30's if it is a 4wd, there are a few ratio's available for the 8.8 but not for the dana 35. 3.73-4.10-4.56-and 5.13 are your options for 4x4 I believe.

with 4.10's, and automatic A4LD tranny, a 93 4.0L OHV, and 31" street tires I am pushing 2800 RPM's at 80 MPH approx it's perfect. I had 3.73's and they were decent but the 4.10's are perfect with an auto and 31's. It scoots...........

There are things to consider, I too couldnt decide between .10 or .56, i did some reserach, basically getting people's opinion, from those who know. I wasnt willing to give up my ability to run 31's while towing and driving all over the midwest with the boat, so I chose the 4.10's. If I planned to run 33's at all times I would have gone 4.56, no question.

I think im gonna go with the 4.10s. Im thinking by the time im gonna be wanting to run tires bigger than 33 ill have a good enough job i can build up my old truck and have that be my dedicated trail rig.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back