Whats up with people hating the sohc | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Whats up with people hating the sohc

Yeah but the 4.6 was a garbage v8 sorry to say
Yeah the 3v had its issues, but the 4.6 3v seems to have less issues, who knows. Depends on maintenance and it is risky used. Some of the ones I looked at had expensive problems (e.g. manifolds cracked).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah but the 4.6 was a garbage v8 sorry to say
You are dead wrong. The 4.6L V8 is one of the most durable engines Ford has produced. This is just fact and backed by how many are still running today with hundreds of thousands of miles on them in all manners of vehicles from taxis to pickup trucks. Maintain them well and they will just about run forever.

It IS the F150 powertrain. Some F150s came with the 4.6L 3V, likely 7K towing capacity. Those type Explorers are very hard to find too.
They are getting hard to find and they aren't cheap when a low mileage one is found. I searched for almost three months before coming across one that was rust free and in very good condition. It is easier to find a good one if you can travel to states outside the rust belt to to buy it.

You are dead wrong. The 4.6L V8 is one of the most durable engines Ford has produced. This is just fact and backed by how many are still running today with hundreds of thousands of miles on them in all manners of vehicles from taxis to pickup trucks. Maintain them well and they will just about run forever.
Haha there temperamental pos yes I will say if you maintain any engine they'll last you forever but you can't tell when something wrong with them like the 302 plus they are know for there piss poor oil leaks I'm sorry 4.6s are known for the corks and that's why I'd rather own a 302 then a 4.6 plus halve the 4.6 I know had to be replaced before 200k miles

But your 4.0 SOHC is is lovely........
I like both I don't prefer one or the other v6 motors I've I've driving both and besides the ohv burning oil I didn't mind it and if I could buy a 302 that didn't billion miles on it. I would. I just wonder why the haters? Plus ok one question is the automatic transmission in the 302 the same in the ohv the manual one not electric

I like both I don't prefer one or the other v6 motors I've I've driving both and besides the ohv burning oil I didn't mind it and if I could buy a 302 that didn't billion miles on it. I would. I just wonder why the haters? Plus ok one question is the automatic transmission in the 302 the same in the ohv the manual one not electric
OHVs aren’t typical oil burners. The 4.6 is no less reliable and problematic than the SOHC.
I have no idea what you’re trying to ask about the 302 transmission.

In the Explorer, the only transmission you’ll find behind the 302 is the 4R70W, which is not found behind the V6 engines.

OHVs aren’t typical oil burners. The 4.6 is no less reliable and problematic than the SOHC.
I have no idea what you’re trying to ask about the 302 transmission.
Sorry I guess I've had bad experiences. With the 4.6. What I'm asking is are the non electric overdrive transmissions the same as the electric overdrive transmission on the v8s that's what I want to know

Both are electronically controlled. 4R70W lineage hasn’t been fully hydraulically controlled since the AOD, I believe. 5R55E just has more shift solenoids.

Yep. The AOD led to the AOD-E. The 4r70w is very similar to an AOD-E except it has a wide ratio gear set with a fairly deep first gear.

Yep. The AOD led to the AOD-E. The 4r70w is very similar to an AOD-E except it has a wide ratio gear set with a fairly deep first gear.
Hmm gotcha is 4r70w not electronical or optioned that way because I've seen some v8s at the junkyard with the 2ds and some with overdrive off stick

The 4r70w is electronically controlled.

All second gen V8s will show PRND21, and have the overdrive on the shifter stalk.

Haha there temperamental pos yes I will say if you maintain any engine they'll last you forever but you can't tell when something wrong with them like the 302 plus they are know for there piss poor oil leaks I'm sorry 4.6s are known for the corks and that's why I'd rather own a 302 then a 4.6 plus halve the 4.6 I know had to be replaced before 200k miles
I have owned several vehicles with 4.6L engines. Never had an oil leak to worry about on ANY of them. In fact, the only repair of consequence on all of them was coil replacements. I never had to take off a valve cover, oil pan, intake etc. I have a '89 LX 5.0L I factory ordered and built to make 435 rwhp and 462 rwtq. I would much rather build a 4.6L than a 5.0L pushrod engine. The blocks are far stronger which allows them to make more power reliably. Sling your BS on something else because it is obvious to those in the know regarding the 4.6L engines that you are talking out of your arse on this one.

I have owned several vehicles with 4.6L engines. Never had an oil leak to worry about on ANY of them. In fact, the only repair of consequence on all of them was coil replacements. I never had to take off a valve cover, oil pan, intake etc. I have a '89 LX 5.0L I factory ordered and built to make 435 rwhp and 462 rwtq. I would much rather build a 4.6L than a 5.0L pushrod engine. The blocks are far stronger which allows them to make more power reliably. Sling your BS on something else because it is obvious to those in the know regarding the 4.6L engines that you are talking out of your arse on this one.

I'm sorry I've had 3 4.6s one that had a knock one that leaked a quart of oil every 3 months and one that got stuck I think there pisses of shibe

I'm sorry I've had 3 4.6s one that had a knock one that leaked a quart of oil every 3 months and one that got stuck I think there pisses of shibe
You must be one of the most unlucky people I know. Either this or you bought vehicles with abused engines, run them hard and/or didn't maintain them. Scan through the post history in the 3rd and 4th gen forums and you will find very few issues with the 4.6L engine internals or engine seals. While you are doing this count the number of posts where people are talking about SOHC engine failures. The ratio of internal SOHC engine problems compared to internal 4.6L engine problems will be very high. I have been coming to these forums well before I became a member in 2003 and posts about 4.6L engine failures are few and far between.

How many of these 4.6s were purchased new?

I've read on this board of so many people hating the sohc especially in 2000 and 01 explorer why? I haven't had any issues with mine except a bad injector and mine has 180k miles on it. I know the v8 are technically are the stronger engine but those things usually have upwards of almost 300k miles I don't get near the bog down that I did with 91 ohv or the 98 ohv
Happy with our 99’ XLT SOHC and 5R @ 176k . I change the fluids like I change my socks and have since we bought it new. Have replaced the usual suspects, batteries, water pump, radiator, hoses, thermostat housing, coolant, belt, tensioner, alternator, brakes and tires of course. I run a K&N air filter, Wix oil and fuel filters and a Motorcraft trans filter. I stay with Mercon for the trans, transfer case and power steering. It’s a California truck so zero rust which is a bonus, we tow with it as well.
I spent a number of years as a fleet manager so I can attest to the benefits of slightly over maintaining equipment. I have seen identically spec‘d vehicles (all types) under similar conditions on the same maintenance schedule where one is mostly trouble free the other becomes a problem child. With Vehicles and equipment, there are always variables, the driver has a fair amount to do with the longevity of any vehicle, his or her driving habits are a key component to whatever issues you may or may not see in any vehicle.
As an example, having been a commercial driver as well, I would always let the truck tell me what gear and RPM range was most efficient and least aggressive to pull a hill. I do the same with my personal vehicles, there’s a sweet spot where you are not pushing your equipment maxed out at the top of the power band just to get up the hill faster, although you can, if need be pick, up the throttle and gain speed within the range if needed. Warm up and cool down is a good habit to get into in my opinion, even for non turbo charged vehicles.
Now, that’s all good if You start out with a new vehicle, but, when You are buying used, which I have many times, it’s still a crap shoot, then there’s..........
Luck!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The solution is don't depend on some 20+ year old vehicle as your *only* daily driver that you're going to pile a lot of miles on.

It almost seems silly to state it, but you run a vehicle for a while, you get a newer vehicle, and you put the older one into secondary duty where it gets less use. Even if you don't buy new vehicles, it still makes sense.

In the case of a 2nd gen explorer it makes a lot more sense because it's a brick on wheels and if you don't need to haul or 4WD, a sedan will get better fuel economy and without as many suspension repairs. Use the right tool for the job.

Back