Whats up with people hating the sohc | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Whats up with people hating the sohc

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You must be one of the most unlucky people I know. Either this or you bought vehicles with abused engines, run them hard and/or didn't maintain them. Scan through the post history in the 3rd and 4th gen forums and you will find very few issues with the 4.6L engine internals or engine seals. While you are doing this count the number of posts where people are talking about SOHC engine failures. The ratio of internal SOHC engine problems compared to internal 4.6L engine problems will be very high. I have been coming to these forums well before I became a member in 2003 and posts about 4.6L engine failures are few and far between.
Hey sorry man that's the way I am I can understand the love with 4.6 it runs a lot quieter then the 302 but I'll take a 302 or 351 compared to a 4.6. We loved that 3rd gen before it had that issue so... sorry were unlucky

Laguna,

Mercon V in the trans, Mercon or Mercon V in the PS is fine, but DO NOT run Mercon V in the transfer case. Mercon is specified here. Merc V causes TC failures, and it even says it on the bottle.

If you already knew this, disregard.

@4pointslow
Drag races his 5r55e
And his sohc
Enough said .

It probably does fine at the strip. Bet the fluid barely gets warm between passes.

I think it’s the low speed, city stop and go that slow roasts these things. Not fast enough for lockup, old fluid getting hot as hell. Especially the models without the aux cooler? Woof...

SOHC 4.0.....I asked about that too. Mine seems good...However I have heard nothing but bad & the thing will blow eventually & mostly without warning that guide chain will disintegrate.
I do 3K mile oil changes with Mobil 1. And It's not a daily driver. I've put 11K miles on mine in 4 years. 107K

They typically don’t start the clatter until low-mid 100k. Mine started at 120-125k

My '98 Explorer with 4.0L SOHC was totaled with 298K miles on it. That engine was amazing. I only gave it the beans when I needed it, but when I needed it, the acceleration was amazing. Unfortunately, there was enough damage that went beyond what insurance would cover to fix. It was a very sad day to have it towed away.

My wife & I purchased a 99 Explorer Sport with the 4.0 SOHC new from the dealer I was working at back in 99 & with me doing the regular maintenance on it when we sold it (which I regret to this day) it had 280K miles on it. She now has another 99 Sport with the 4.0 SOHC that we purchased used that had 98K miles on it back in 2015, it now has 211K miles.

My wife & I purchased a 99 Explorer Sport with the 4.0 SOHC new from the dealer I was working at back in 99 & with me doing the regular maintenance on it when we sold it (which I regret to this day) it had 280K miles on it. She now has another 99 Sport with the 4.0 SOHC that we purchased used that had 98K miles on it back in 2015, it now has 211K miles.
That’s excellent service without opening the motor up.

Gotta voice my displeasure w/ the 5r tranny.
Changed fluid @ 30k, fluid & filter @ 60k, and @89k it was a T.K.O.
I tow about 3x a year, but the trailer weight is only about a ton.
She is currently at 110k

But your 4.0 SOHC is is lovely........
You have no idea what you're talking about. The sohc 4.6 is one of the best v8s Ford ever built. Properly maintained they're bulletproof. There are thousands in the road with 300+ thousand miles going strong.

I love my 2000 Ford Explorer XLT - 4.0 SOHC!!! I will say the transmissions aren’t the best in them, especially the 5R55E and I did have it replaced at the dealership around 200,000 miles.. Now the motor is a different story, yes it has a slight tick at start up for about two seconds then it quits.. Normally I hold the gas pedal down and turn it over for a few seconds so it doesn’t tick at all!!! It also has a tiny oil leak that is coming from the oil filter adapter o-rings.. I will eventually get to them, but I dread it!!! For 329,419 miles I can’t complain though, I would get in it right now I’m driving across country with not a worry in the world!!!
Sincerely, Cody.

6463A38F-9756-4F25-9A40-A8BCDACD3502.jpeg

You got a good one. Your cranking strategy likely helps.

why people hating the sohc?

cause it's pain in an arse

Like Wilmoth 1989 When I start my wife's 99 Sport w/4.0 SOHC motor I hold the gas pedal to the floor & crank it over for about 5 - 10 seconds then when I start it there is no rattle.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a '99 Explorer sport SOHC and love it 108K on the odometer.

Back