Wheel bearing noise, quietens during braking | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wheel bearing noise, quietens during braking

Larryjb

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Ford Explorer
I know what bad wheel bearing sound like and I'm pretty sure this is a bad wheel bearing. It gets louder when steering to the left, so I know the bad bearing is on the right side. I replaced the front right wheel bearing about 3-4 years ago, the right rear was replaced 3-4 years prior to that at least. Given this, I'd put my best bet that the faulty wheel bearing is on the rear right.

However, I don't like the guessing game because I really don't want to just throw parts at it. I noticed it gets a lot quieter when braking. This suggests that as I brake, weight is transferred to the front, easing the stress on the rear wheel bearing, making the sound less. Does this sound reasonable? Is my bet a good one?

I know what bad wheel bearing sound like and I'm pretty sure this is a bad wheel bearing. It gets louder when steering to the left, so I know the bad bearing is on the right side. I replaced the front right wheel bearing about 3-4 years ago, the right rear was replaced 3-4 years prior to that at least. Given this, I'd put my best bet that the faulty wheel bearing is on the rear right.

However, I don't like the guessing game because I really don't want to just throw parts at it. I noticed it gets a lot quieter when braking. This suggests that as I brake, weight is transferred to the front, easing the stress on the rear wheel bearing, making the sound less. Does this sound reasonable? Is my bet a good one?
Just an update.

I went ahead and changed the right rear hub. They are expensive, and I could feel a little roughness in the rotor as I rotated it, so I figured it was the one. However, upon test driving, I still had the same noise on left turns. I went and changed the front right hub and the ride is much quieter now.

I figure that the action of braking dampened the vibrations of the failing front wheel bearing.

Neither wheel showed any wobble or slop. Both demonstrated some roughness, so I'm not too upset about having to replace the rear bearing. It probably would have started making noise sooner or later, if not masked by the noise of the front wheel bearing.

Back