Wheel offset/backspacing help!?! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wheel offset/backspacing help!?!

Reaction score
City, State
Frederick, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 ST Adrenalin 4x4
2004 STA 4x4. Currently have 3" body lift and 4" suspension kit. Need an upgrade in the wheels and tires department. Currently running 265/75/16 and was thinking to upgrade to 20x10 tires with either 37/12.50/20 or 35/12.50/20 tires. What I need to know is, first will x10 rims fit? If so, what offset is best? and Will 37s or 35s be better? Mainly I need to know about offset more than anything else. A recommended shop suggested -4. I've looked online and about the only stuff I find is 0 or -12 with a x10 rim. I don't mind if the rim sticks out some but not a lot.

Really need some attention on this. Shop is almost done and I need to spend some money.

Thanks in advance.

first off, stick to 35's with the stock axles. your front dana 35 ifs won't like anything bigger. you'll be blowing ball joints and hub bearings left and right. you'll probably want to regear to 4.56's for the 35s as it is.

20x10 rims will work fine. i'd consider upgrading your brakes to fill up those big wheels.

i have 15x8 rims, with 4" back spacing. with 33x12.50 tires, my side walls stick out about 2" from the fender.

stock rims are 16x7 with 4.5" bs, for reference.

for a wider rim, you usually want to stick to somewhere in the 4.5" range. you want to keep the centerline of your rim as close to stock as possible, to avoid stressing the hell out of the hub bearings.

i don't know how those dimensions convert to offset measurements.

Backspacing is a measure of the distance from the back of the wheel to the mounting plate of he wheel. 4-inch backspacing on an 8-inch wide wheel means the mounting plate is in the middle of the wheel.

Offset is a measure of the mounting plate measured from the center of the wheel. 12-mm on an 8-inch wheel would be an 4 1/2-inch backspacing. 1-inch = 25.4-mm.
Negative offset means the mounting plate is closer to the middle of the vehicle.

One of best ways to see if a wheel and tire combination fits is to make a sketch of the existing wheel and tire. Then make a sketch of the new combination. You will need to make dimensions of the new combination over the old combination. Then you can take a tape measure and cycle the tires to se what will fit and what will hit.

Back