Stic-o

Elite Movie Star
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Lake View Terrace, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Navajo '99 X '19 Rngr
So in the last month I have lost two wheels studs off my truck. one just snapped and was gone, and the other snapped off while tighting. :mad:

and of corse they are a Ford only item:rolleyes: and cost $22 bucks each!!:eek:

This sucks!:mad:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I believe you have aluminum wheels..did you remember to re-torque them after 100ish miles? With aluminum wheels, they will loosen slightly and need to be re-torqued, otherwise you might have wheel studs breaking. Could be what caused it? There was a guy I know who lost 7 of his 10 wheel studs on the freeway because he didn't re-torque them.

You say the one broke while tightening? Maybe it had been forming a small fracture?

Does ford have any guarantees on these parts? If they are breaking that much, you would think they would have some explanation.

Napa has a whole pile of wheel studs. Have you tried them?

Is this all on the same wheel? I had a boat trailer that had that issue, I contribute the problem to rooted from not torqueing the lug nuts and I had to replace all the studs. Basically I didn't check after a hundred miles or so and they were having an issue getting seated (quad axle...don't ask). So after the wheels wobbled a little loose I think it weakened the integrity of each stud. They snapped off while tightening them up.

Perhaps a prior owner had a wheel loose on them and now you are dealing with it.

Could be that the previous owner (or shop) seriously overtightened the lugs and they're snapping due to that.

Ford only for studs? Wow! New one on me. I've gotten plenty of studs for Fords at parts stores. Even one for my '04 Mach.

The studs are a weird thread. The wheels were very loose (one almost came off on the freeway, but when I tighted them that is when the one broke off. the other one (oppisite side) sheared sometime while driving. Now I'm worried if I should just replace all of them on the front:(

hmmm, thats exactly what happened to me, I started checking torque of the other 7 wheels when one fell off and I started snapping studs with a 3/8" socket. I knew something was wrong.

What year F-150 is it? I know Ford re-designed their studs in 2000 because so many of them were breaking... there was a variety of theories as to why, some said hte hub-centric design with flat lugs, but the wheel sitting too far away from the stud post, or lugs that were too tight causing to much strain on the nut, etc. I'm not really sure what the official cause is, but I know they went from 12mm to 14mm in mid-2000.

Mine is a 2005, however when I called ford about the part they said there are two different part numbers in 2005. I guess there was a change over at one point, so I have to look at my born on date of my truck or whatever:rolleyes: Gee I wonder why they chaged them?:mad:

well I know they've had so many issues with studs, thats why in 2004 they changed over to being 6x135mm instead of 5x135mm. Maybe they still don't have it figured out...?

Are they stock wheels, and what was the torque set to?

Mine has 140K+ miles on it and I have never had a stud break (everything else has though). And my service schedule has my tires rotated every 10k.

I'm approaching 50k miles on my '05 with no issues with the studs (stock wheels). I've rotated the wheels every 10k or so and replaced the tires at 40k. Only problems I've had were a bad diode in the computer and a warped rotor, both fixed under warranty.

Back