wheeling in Virginia | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

wheeling in Virginia

if u can hang till later next month, i'll be up for a few hours in the sand,, i got a stock sport and it's great in the sand,, so if either one of us get stuck,, ,, gotcha back! ,lol

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

stafford isnt that far.. guess 40 mins or so (from springfield)..

btw, where's the outer banks at? We (family) went to virginia beach last time for some sand and that took around 4 hours drive..

^^ yeah the outter banks is in East Nc. It's pretty rual, and people go there to fish, and drive on the beaches, Corolla beach is where you drive on the beach, It's roughly 4 hours from my place in stafford/fredericksburg. Usuallly the worst part of the beach is the enterance. It's really loose and ruttted out so kinda gotta be easy going there but other then that, you'll see anything from hard packed sand seems smooth like a highway, or spots where you'll slow down and feel like u need to throw it in 4 low. It's just a fun time to play w/ 4x4 and not really tear up your truck w/ trees and branches.

next month

yeah I can wait until next month. just hit me up. ill keep updated here.......if anyone else is going sooner let me know. Id rather hit some trails but sand will do.....

The OBX outer banks is like 100-miles long. It runs from the Va border essentaly to Okracoke Island. In the off season you can drive on like a quarter of it, some local permits may be required. Recently access has been limited by the beach nazis (wrongly named environmentalists). But there is still plenty of places to explore. Try a internet search "north carolina beach buggy association". I have found that the farther south you go the deeper and softer the sand. Be prepared, have a recovery kit, onboard air, lower your tire pressure, and clean up after yourself.

Try this link http://www.vadriven.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=47

well do you know anyone going to outer banks anytime soon? id like to go with a group of people. show me the ropes. I have never been there before, and I have a stock truck so, dont want to be getting stuck out there alone......anyone up for a weekend trip? and when is someone going to start a club around this area????:roll:

I wouldnt worry about getting stuck to much. You will see plenty of 2 wheelers running down the beach too. If you go all the way to the end of the beach area, then you might have an issue as the sand gets a little softer down that way. Oregon inlet is where you have to be careful. I have never gotten stuck down there even when I was running smaller tires.

. Recently access has been limited by the beach nazis (wrongly named environmentalists). But there is still plenty of places to explore.

^^ Ha that's funny, but true. I've heard they are trying to put a limit or all together stop letting guys off road there. Has anyone even heard more on that? Where's the orgean inlet?? I've seen people off road down by the big bridge going to Cape Hatteress, Beautiful area, but wayyyyyyyyyy to far south for a quick trip. I've heard of a place near assetigue island?? SP)
It's like 30 mins or so south of Ocean City Md.

assetigue costs about 60 bucks for a permit last I checked and require basic recovery tools to be carried. The spot by the big bridge you are referring to I think is Oregon inlet. Whether you go to Oregon inlet or Carova, the distance is about the same. Once you cross the bridge to the outer banks, you have to turn left and head North towards Carova vice heading south to Oregon inlet. Lot less beach at Oregon inlet.

^^ so have you done that run?? looks like a fun time. It's been couple of decades sense i've been to ocacroke island. And i never even knew you could off road past that point. With this colder weather i'm deff ready for warm sand!

The farthest south I have been is the point at Hatteras. Which is one of the coolest places that you can drive to. Hatteras Island is really a great 4x4 area. You can drive on the beach for miles, even during the summer and not see a soul. There are sound access roads. I have found that Hatteras Island off-roading to be more challenging than any other place on the outer banks. It is best to check the Hatteras National Seashore website for access and restriction details, prior to your trip.

Hatteras point is closed now. im down for a obx run

Back