When I turn key, no start just a click | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

When I turn key, no start just a click

Yes, when whe car turns over. But all I get is a clicking noise but it doesent turn over. Just a "click" "click". Like I said I changed the selenoid and the positive cables. I hope it is something small.........

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The fuel pump should turn on as soon as you turn the key and stay on as you turn over the engine. Did you check all you fuses?

Sorry. I should have also said to make sure all you wires are conected properly, espesialy at the starter and the relay.

Yeah it look as if all the connections are good. But it doesent even turn over. Just clicks......I was told the relay was the selenoid. But after lloking in the haynes manual the selenoid is attached to the started. The module right near the battery is the relay but the guy at the dealer swore up and down it was the selenoid. What an idiot! Thanks for your help though guys and if you have any other thoughts please keep em comming cuz I need the help!!!!! Thanks.......

Actually the dealer may be telling you the truth a solenoid and a relay are basically the same thing...

You got two solinoids. There is the one next to the battery. Then there is another that is part of the Starter. What you need to do is put your key to the on postion and then run a screwdriver across the two big leads of the solinoid next to the battery and if it just still clicks something is not correct with your battery cables. Been there done that enough times to know that. :)

Re-check all your connections make sure they are clean and free of any kind of crap and then try again.

Boy, this sure sounds familiar.

Before you go to the expense of a new starter, make sure that your ground cable is well grounded.

I replaced both cables on my '92 a few years ago. Same symtoms. The starter would randomly "click" when the car was started.

I purchased Ford cables because each cable has so many connections on it. If I remeber correctly, the ground cable is connected to the block, frame, and the right inner fender. Any corroded connection at any one of those locations can cause the symptoms you're describing.

Both cables from Ford were about $100, I don't no of any aftermarket cables that would fit that would be any cheaper.

My $0.02.

starting

I'm not real sure with the explorer because I haven't had to mess with my explorer's ignition system. But on my mustang this same thing happened a lot.

Apparently Fords are known to be notorious for this. I've had to change the solenoid a lot. I thought that it was just the solenoid but it seems that the fusible links just could'nt hold the heat from the battery juice that well. At least that's what the mechanic told me. A friend with a Mustang had the same problem.

I changed the fusible links and the solenoid and it works like a charm.

Mine was the starter. I did everything you guys said, check all cables, grounds, solenoids etc... when all else failed, had new starter put in and walah. Starts up like a charm.

Hey guys, I am gonna take a look this weekend and let you know what it may be......thanks

sounds like an obvious but overlookable solution....Your alarm may be acting up. Either make sure you've turned it off or deactivate it completely. Sometimes my alarm rearms itself if I leave the key in the ignition but the engine stopped. If I try to start it again the system will prevent it from starting.

Hey guys, I got my truck back from the shop and it was the starter. Also the battery was very very weak so I replaced it. The starter was from the junkyard and it was only 25 bucks and works li[ke a charm. I think I want to refurbish the old starter and have it handy just in case. What do you guys think? Do anyone know how to do that?

It cost me $250 to replace mine. That makes me upset. I wish that I did it myself but I need my truck right away. I learned my lesson.

My truck has the same symptoms just a loud click right after i cleaned some parts of the engine i checked the battery,its not the problem, the fuel pump comes on and the ebrake light comes on when i try to crank it.

I had the same exact problem and found the solution by doing the following:
The cable that is connected to the gas pedal that runs to the transmission was completely fried and was rubbing up against the header and causing a killer "fry as many bulbs as possible" electrical short. I went to the junkyard and found a replacement cable for 5.00 and took about 7 minutes to replace. I re-routed it the proper way but the short killed my battery. I took it to autozone and they said i had 1 dead cell but was still good. I replaced the battery and to avoid any more problems and i also replaced the positive cable and the ground post connector as well. My clicking stopped and the electrical short never ocurred again.

I fixed mine already i stuck a pole through the engine bay down to the starter and hit the pole with a hammer- worked like a charm

starter grrrrrrrr

I am having this problem as we speak. Initially I went to change out my battery cables thinking it was a simple thing that wouldn't take me very long. I detached the ground from the inside wall and from the battery. That is when I realized that the cables went all the way to the starter and I didn't have time to do all that work. So I decided to put everything back together and leave it for another day. When I went to start it, it started but immediately made a grinding noise after started. It literally sounded like I was trying to start the truck again after I had already started it. When I started the truck it was smooth at first then started grinding then went smooth again. I did this three total times. 1 when I initially started it and I got scared and immediately turned it off. 2 again to see if maybe it was a one time thing and 3 to show let my friend hear what it was doing. The third time I did it I let it run for a little bit but it had one heck of an awful smell coming from the truck so I turned it off. Then when another friend called I tried to let them hear it and it wouldn't turn on at all. There was power in the cab and under the hood but when I turned the key just a clicking noise. We all came to the determination that it was the starter. I went and purchased the new starter and installed it with much ease. When I got everything together the truck started but again with the grinding noise. I am at a loss as to what this could be but def hoping it is not my flywheel. Can someone help me with a diagnosis??

Oh on a side note cause this may be important. When I took the ground wires off when I was origionally going to replace the battery cable wires I am only 80% sure I put them back the way they came off. Could this be reason for the grinding?

Back