Help - Won't start, just clicks... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help - Won't start, just clicks...

lorentz1

Reaction score
Help, my Explorer will not start! Everything was running smoothly - no problem starts. I turned the vehicle off, returned a minute later and it would not start. There is a clicking sound when I turn the key. After verifying my battery was fully charged with solid connections, I suspected the starter solenoid. I checked the solenoid input and I have 12 volts. When I turn the key, I have power on the ouput of the relay. Does this indicate the relay is functioning properly? When I listened closely, there are actually 2 clicks when I turn the key. The first sounds like it is coming from (or under) the powere distribution box. It is followed by a click from the starter solenoid.

Any ideas? I could use the help ASAP - my missionary in-laws are in need of the vehicle tomorrow and I need to get it going for them. Thanks for the help!

Steve

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've replaced the starter solenoid, but the vehicle still won't start. I still get a clicking noise when turning on the ignition. I'd appreciate any sugestions anyone could offer. Thanks!

battery cables, its a common problem with Explorers, tehy get corroded. Try cleaning off the terminals and if that doesn't work, replace the battery cables.

Dead Link Removed <--also check out that sight for more information.

Starter

My 91' had the same problem about six months ago. If you checked the wires and replaced the solenoid its probably your starter. I got one from Pep Boys for about $120. It takes about an hour to change if you do it yourself.

Thanks! :)

A big thank you for the prompt responses! I replaced the positive battery cables and presto, we have ignition! :) As I explored the replaced cord, I found numerous spots of corrosion out of sight as the cord routed beneath the motor. I would not have found the problem or suspected the positive battery cable, since everything else seemed to have adequate 12V power. I just found this thread when researching this problem and found it to be extremely revealing about many of the problems I have had with my Explorer. I will be returning frequently - this is a great resource.

Steve

hey thats why this message board is great - because other people have usually experienced teh same problem.

Oh yeah..

..nothing better than learning from other peoples mistakes (misfortunes, trajedies, triumphs, etc)!!

Back