When I Turn on Max A/C Barely Any Air Comes Out... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

When I Turn on Max A/C Barely Any Air Comes Out...

zwakef1

Reaction score
City, State
New Orleans, LA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'06 XLT
2006 Ford Explore XLT

AIr comes out of the vents just fine when the dial is turned to any other position but Max A/C. As soon as you switch the dial to Max A/C little to no air comes out. The little amount of air that does come out is cold, so I don't think there is a problem with the charge.

I've also noticed that when you switch to Max A/C from regular A/C it sounds like the system is blowing/working harder behind the glove compartment, but almost all the air stops coming out of the vents.

Every other setting works great including the heater and defroster, just the Max A/C isn't blowing any air. I live in south Louisiana and I'm dying. Any thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is it coming out of the defrost vents?

No, I should've mentioned that in my post as I saw that was a common problem for others. The air doesn't start coming out of the defroster instead of the vents. I even tried the dowel trick just to be sure. There is just much less air coming out of the vents...only a trickle. But the system sounds like it's working harder and blowing more air, just none is coming out of anywhere.

Hmmm odd. Sorry I got nothing.

Not sure if this is related, but when the rear A/C is turned on you can hear a repetitive clicking noise that doesn't stop unless the front a/c is also turned on

Solved!

I ordered a new blower motor and installed it a few hours ago. I also charged the A/C system because it was a little low. My A/C works like new now. Not sure what caused the initial problem, but it seemed like the blower motor just wasn't working whenever it was put to max A/C, but worked on all other settings. The old blower motor was dirty, but didn't have anything stuck in there to keep it from working. Anyway, figured I would update the thread if anyone else had the same problem

Back