• Register Today It's free!

Where and how to hook up PA

willys5555

Reaction score
City, State
Spring TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 XLT
I have a CB radio that has the PA ability and has the plug in the back to plug a speaker into it. do i just buy a PA speaker and hook it up or will i need some sort of amp for it?

also, where did you guys mount your speaker? I have a 1997 Ford Explorer 4dr so if someone has a pa mounted on their explorer, please let me know where, and possible a picture of it. I want it to be hidden so i dont want to mount it on the outside of the car. but i dont want to hide it behind something that will block all the sound. any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i don't have a picture of where my pa speaker is but i didn't use an amp, and i ran the wire behind the fender and then the speaker is to the right of the right headlight(facing the truck) i just stuck it in there and have not had an issues for 2 years. As an idea of where it is look at the grill of your truck and on the right side you will see a black wind blocker or something it is right on the inside of that.

ok so it is really that easy to hook up? i guess it seems like it would need an amp or something. but i guess not. which is better for me so i dont have to buy one :D i guess i will just look under my hood and see if i can find a good spot. Thanks for your help.

yeah just plug it in and run the wire you might want to extend it to make it easier to tuck. Its like 3 minutes to do the whole job...i'm gonna start looking into a powered speaker so it is really loud, but the speaker i have(20 bucks at radio shack) is fine.

ok well that sounds good then. how loud is just the speaker? loud enough for other people in other cars to hear?

What is a powered speaker? does it have an amp in it? Where would i get that? i may just do that first. Thanks for your help.

dont mount the speaker inside the hood you wont hear anything mount it right behind the front license plate kinda facing down but still forward, did this with my "siren" works very well..... not muffled at al

mine isnt muffled it has a thin piece of plastic in front of it...and that is a good thing because iw woudnt want water and mud to be splashed up onto it...water and electricity dont mix well....as far as a fowered speaker i was thinking of taking a pair of computer speakers that are really loud and running them to an inverter and then plugging them into the cb...

This doesn't completely apply to your question but on my first gen I had, I had it mounted above the shock tower and to the inner fender well so the speaker was exposed to any weather that the tires went through, well I got it from a Sony speaker box for an in-home stereo, and had it to a small amp. I had it on there for months it seen water, it seen snow, it was covered in mud and it still worked great before I removed it before I had sold it, so depending on your speaker you may not have to worry to much of the weather effecting it. I agree with Skan to try to mount it near the grill, good luck, once you get it mounted show us where you put it.

ok thanks guys. this is turing out to be a lot easier than i had originally thought. now i am just trying to find a speaker. no one around here seems to sell them. i went to radio shack and they didnt have a speaker here. anyone have any ideas where to get one thats not on the interent cause i want to buy one so i can put it on and not have to wait on shipping.

P1000099a.jpg

iirc, I bought mine from Radio Shack.

if they don't have them at your nearest store... try a different one?

ok well i bought mine at radio shack but i had to go to a different one. i got it hooked up and everything. it sounds great. thanks for all of yalls help on getting this done. :D

i will post pics when i get home of where i put it.

Back