where do i start?

drmoore71

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
houston, texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Z-71 suburban
can anyone tell me where i should begin my mods? i have a stock two wheel drive four door '95. the only thing i've done to it is a k&n drop in. i plan to take the airbox off, too.

------------------
doug moore
95 explorer
97 explorer
66 mustang

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would go for catback exhaust. It all depends on what you want (bottom end, top end) and what engine you have. Peronally i would have done exhaust first, because now your engine has increased air flow, but still no way to get it out. Exhaust should be next. You can search and find a site favorite, which is what i would go with if i didnt already have it.

Tony 91 Sport

Doug,

Tony's right, do the exhaust next. Air in and out will make the most difference in performance and economy. After the cat back and some quality headers, I would go for some Bosch Platinum +4 plugs and Splitfire dual core wires. This combination will get you the biggest bang for your buck. If so inclined, then start with handling mods such as shocks and then go on to the stuff that makes it look good like wheels, tires, tint etc. Your only limitation is the size of your wallet! Have a great time with a great truck.

PS: I'd like to see your '66 Mustang sometime, I had three of them '70,'71 and '73 and loved 'em all.

------------------
1996 Explorer Sport 4x4
4.0L OHV w/auto & 4.10's
K&N w/drilled box, Bosch P+4's, Borla Cat-Back

jimiday@aol.com

hey, jimiday, what kind of "bang for the buck" will the plugs and wires give me? what kind of money can i look to spend on them? finally, i can probably send some pics of the mustang, or Sweet Baby as she likes to be called.

------------------
doug moore
95 explorer
97 explorer
66 mustang

Doug,

The plugs are close to $6 each, I got mine at Advanced Auto for $5.63. The wires are $55.00 and Splitfire has a manufacturer's $10 rebate. I just got my JC Whitney catalogue and they're advertised on page 176.

I did my K&N and plugs at the same time and their was a significant difference from stock. I added a cat-back two weeks ago and felt another significant gain. My MPG is up to about 18.5 on the highway and I have much better throttle response and passing capability (the 4.10's help). The sound is much deeper, kind of like a low rumble; I used to have a 91 supercharged Thunderbird SC and sounds just like it!

If you have a scanner, you can e-mail the pics of the pony, if not I won't trouble you with postage and the hassle. Thanks

------------------
1996 Explorer Sport 4x4
4.0L OHV w/auto & 4.10's

jimiday@aol.com

The guys are correct. Go for the exhaust system first. If you can do the installation, that will save you a lot of money.

I do have a question to the other guys. If I change my gears, will it void my warranty? Also, how can I know what gears do I have? I'd read my manual and didn't find anything concerning gears. Have I just overlooked it? I have a 1998 EB 5.0L, 4X2. Thanks guys.

n2Knee,

Look under your Explorer on the axle and there will be a small metal tag attached to the area commonly called the "pumpkin". Stamped on this tag will be your gear ratio; this is the most accurate way to find out. There is also a code number on your door that corresponds to a code listed in your manual. Sorry it took me so long to get back to you, I've been on vacation for awhile. Good luck!

------------------
1996 Explorer Sport 4x4
4.0L OHV w/auto & 4.10's

jimiday@aol.com

Now I just picked up a 5.0 explorer but I've been modifying mustangs forever now.

The GT-40P heads and Explorer intake flow enough to make in the area of about 240-260rwhp (add 15% for flywheel). So the exhaust like everyone mentioned is a good
place to start.

and stay away from an open filter element under the hood, you'll get fan wash w/MAF and
the car is gonna be sucking warm engine air. Sticking the KN in the fender is the best solution.

A custom chip (www.jmschip.com) using the autologic software would be well spent money as well. Firming up the shifts, raising the points adding some timing and turning on the fan sooner is worth the $250 they cost.

I'd like to know what cam is in the car.. I'll bet swapping even a stock mustang cam
would be worth 15hp easy and retain the stock torque curve.

Get some new slightly warmer plugs, no need to spend $6 a plug either, not gonna gain anything. For plug wires, some taylor 8mm will work nicely.

However, bang for the buck, do the exhaust and then save up for a blower.

--damon

I rate it a ten!

True Duals... 2.5" throughout to chrome slants! I rate it a ten.

Re: I rate it a ten!

Originally posted by LowdPypes
True Duals... 2.5" throughout to chrome slants! I rate it a ten.

I agree and that's exactly what setup I have. See pics link in sig to check it out.

Didn't you loose a lot of torque with dual 2.5". Although if you have an automatic it is gard to tell. I have a manual and am constantly looking for mods to increase low-end torque.

Since mine came with the 5.0 and 3.73 gears, low end torque is not a problem. In fact, it feels like I got a torque and horsepower increase. I can leave some good black marks now that I have the exhaust and modified air box. The exhaust system is so restictive on the V8 models that duals should help the whole powerband. If you have a V6, then you might lose some low end torque as I'm not familiar with how restrictive the V6 exhaust is.

i think u should go with a flowmaster and then go on to a good set of headers.

hey, guys...i couldn't believe it when i got an email telling me that someone had responded to one of my very first posts! :eek: alot has happened since then. check out the "doug's truck" link in my signature at the bottom. it's been nearly two years since i got the explorer, and i still love walking out to it in the parking lot every day! it has been loads of fun and an adventure trying to make it a little different from the norm. btw, thanks to everyone for all the help over the time i've been here.

Back