Where is the day\night automatic sensor? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Where is the day\night automatic sensor?

meyek91974

Reaction score
City, State
Louisville, Kentucky - Let me no f u r nearby
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Explorer 2wd Edd.B
I want my lights on all the time I'm driving. My simple guess is to cover a day/night light sensor so the computer will always think it's dark. I have sat a magazine over the sensor looking thing on the right side of the dash and that doesn't work. Also, I have covered the spot on the front left side of the rear view mirror and that only made my rv mirror dark.

How do I make the lights on all the time without using the turn switch. I turned them on before and when forgetting to turn them off my battery died. How do I trick the sensor?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Where is the day/night automatic headlights on/off sensor? I thought it was the small round glass spot on the right side of dash. I put a magazine over so it DEFINITELY covers it and the lights still don't stay on.

Please help

AFAIK it's part of the rear view mirror. Should have a box mounted to the mirror and against the windshield.

Mine is integrated into the rear-view mirror. Its a small round indent 1/2" or so on the drivers side of the mirror facing front.

Covering this with small piece of electrical tape=lights always on???

Mine is integrated into the rear-view mirror. Its a small round indent 1/2" or so on the drivers side of the mirror facing front.

If I cut a small, shaped piece of electronic tape, will this make my lights always on?

I would try Turdle's suggestion first. In fact, this is a replacement mirror I purchased off Amazon as my slide switch did, in fact, flake out and I could not fix/clean/repair it.

Rear view mirror fades fine.

When I adjust the delay slide switch it makes a difference in the speed or the darkness of my automatic rear view mirror. When I cover the sensor on the front left side of the rear view mirror then it makes my rearview mirror very dark such as to adjust the mirror 4 day or night but it does not turn on my headlights. What makes the car think that it's nighttime and dark instead of day time and light?

How do I make the lights on all the time without using the turn switch. I turned them on before and when forgetting to turn them off my battery died. How do I trick the sensor?

How did you do that without the chime shrieking at you?

Back in the days of manual window winders, points and carbies I rigged up a relay so that the lights would only be on if the ignition was on.

But if you were going for lights on in the day time I would more likely use LEDs rigged to the ignition or maybe oil pressure.

So if my auto lights are not working, but the light on the rear view mirror is coming on, could it be the rear view mirror sensor is in-fact bad?

Back